Like Tree156Likes

Your most hated spot in Hong Kong?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

The absolute worst is lining up for a crowded ride at Disneyland and behind you are three 40ish year old mainland men (no wives or kids anywhere) trying to cut the line. You tell them to "relax" and they chill for while and in about 2 minutes they are at it again. Persistent buggers.

Original Post Deleted
    I completely agree. BO in HK is much worse. I've rarely smelt BO (apart from the occasional homeless person enjoying the Circle line all day) on the London tube and I used it on a daily basis for over 15 years. Also used to get BR/Virgin trains between London and the North West (where my family lives) on a regular basis and never once had a problem (not with smells or being too hot anyway...quality of the service and timekeeping is a different matter lol).

I find the Paris metro/RER worst for BO in summer. HK is also pretty bad but HK seems to add a lot of people with bad breath into the equation. Given the bad teeth on display in HK, fresh breath/teeth cleaning doesn't appear to be a priority for a lot of people here.
    Last edited by bibbju; 21-03-2013 at 03:16 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by James NYC:
    The absolute worst is lining up for a crowded ride at Disneyland and behind you are three 40ish year old mainland men (no wives or kids anywhere) trying to cut the line. You tell them to "relax" and they chill for while and in about 2 minutes they are at it again. Persistent buggers.
    Last time I was at Disney, I was with my local girlfriend and her slightly infirm mum, who walks quite slowly. We were in the queue for the cable car, and a bit of a gap had opened in front of us, so the guy behind us - who was there with his kids, not cronies - tried to push past. I said "excuse me", he ignored me, so I ended up grabbing the handle on his backpack and physically yanking him back. My gf asked him what he was doing, and he pretty much said that he thought it was okay to push past us because we were walking slowly. This was in a long-ish queue, where we were all going to end up at the same place at the same time, regardless of how slow anyone was walking.

He tried again a few minutes later, and I just body-blocked him...
    pandancake and dear giant like this.

Quote Originally Posted by James NYC:

LIKE, LIKE, LIKE............its almost as if they have no control over their actions, it is an automated, unconscious response to push ahead in line.

Always shocked at how many Adults...without kids...go on the silly rides like the teacup or buzz year??

My most hated spot has to be Quarry Bay station, you need to climb down four escalators and loooooong walk before you can reach the blasted purple line...

Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    Apparently asians seem to sweat least of all, and some research papers says that they are well-known for having little body odor. Asians actually have more active eccrine glands than Caucasians do, but due to the low number of osmidrotic apocrine glands in axilla (armpit), they have less axillary odor than other races. Asian apocrine glands are either poorly developed or nonexistent.
    If only it was true for us brown asians....

Quote Originally Posted by bibbju:
    I completely agree. BO in HK is much worse. I've rarely smelt BO (apart from the occasional homeless person enjoying the Circle line all day) on the London tube and I used it on a daily basis for over 15 years. Also used to get BR/Virgin trains between London and the North West (where my family lives) on a regular basis and never once had a problem (not with smells or being too hot anyway...quality of the service and timekeeping is a different matter lol).

I find the Paris metro/RER worst for BO in summer. HK is also pretty bad but HK seems to add a lot of people with bad breath into the equation. Given the bad teeth on display in HK, fresh breath/teeth cleaning doesn't appear to be a priority for a lot of people here.

I think part of the problem is a lack of proper deorderant. You don't see a lot of the long-lasting stick or roll-on types of deorderant or anti-perspirant here. It's one of the few items I still get from back home. It seems that most people here think of deorderant as what I would call a freshener type or perfume spray.
    dear giant likes this.

Hmmm...MTR is generally quite a bit cleaner than London's Tube (or most other metro systems in the world for that matter), but that is countered by the fact that the BO is more severe on the MTRs. Maybe Chinese have less BO than Westerners naturally, but given the hot and humid weather half the year,even if they had less in a milder climate, they will still suffer more BO simply due to the humid climate. So one thing is cancelled out by the other.

Last edited by Watercooler; 21-03-2013 at 03:34 PM.
    TheBrit, Lootoo and dear giant like this.

Not so much a particular spot but the wealth gap, and how people with money here flaunt it. So tacky.

dear giant likes this.

Asians are definitely less prone to BO due to missing glands? or something, BUT that is irrelevant if you don't wash your clothes or brush your teeth often enough!

Not sure if you can compare the london tube to hk tube, a lot of the poorer people (a bit un-pc but woteves) who are more likely to have lower hygiene will take the bus because it is comparatively cheaper with a bus card. In HK all walks of life will use the MTR as it is hardly different in cost to the buses.

Another difference (I might be wrong) is that Asians culturally shower at night and a lot of westerners shower in the morning before work so they'll have that nice shower smell...okay generalisations but you get the drift.

this is supposed to be about our most hated places.... are you guys really arguing about whose BO is worse? lol!

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast