Like Tree8Likes

Moving within Midlevels or the Same Building - aprox price?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I moved a sofa once between 2 buildings in the same complex. Owner said the usual, "no stairs, easy job, yada, yada"....when we get there, sofa is a sofa bed which won't fit in lift without being dismantled. Arguments with security regarding taking parts in lift....both buildings had walk up, narrow stairs to the lift podiums. Bumps and steps all the way between the buildings.

About a 3 and half hour job...ffs...charged him $1500...he was angry but I was angrier. I felt I should have got more money...

Laughing out loud - $1500 for less than four hours unskilled labour? In Hong Kong? Hilarious.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    Laughing out loud - $1500 for less than four hours unskilled labour? In Hong Kong? Hilarious.
    Moving furniture is unskilled labour?

Spoken like a white collar worker.

Minimum call out $500
    Last edited by INXS; 09-05-2013 at 01:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by INXS:
    Moving furniture is unskilled labour?
    Yes, definitely unskilled labour - most people can assemble and dissemble IKEA furniture.. even white collar works

Yes, definitely unskilled labour - most people can assemble and dissemble IKEA furniture.. even white collar works
    You'd think right?

BTW TB. next time you move, and I kid you not, I know two lads who'll give you a day's labour for $250 each. They can lift heavy things, why not a $100k piano or dismantle and re-assemble a $100k bespoke bed.......of course if all your stuff is from IKEA....

We moved recently, got a local firm in, paid them a fraction of what you think you're worth and they did a great job. Will use them again if we move, thanks but no thanks for your recommendation

If you want to save money, buy some bubble wrap from central hardware stores and well your own. Also any cardboard boxes from wellcome or PnS and pack your own stuff. This will save you money and at least to know that you packed your fragile stuff the best of ones knowledge that it will not get broken. Also, you know which stuff is packed into which box, which makes it easier to find when unpacking. I'm a systematic packer and unpacker, and found that it saves time and extra grey hair growth.

Any mates that you know can help you lift stuff?

We moved recently, got a local firm in, paid them a fraction of what you think you're worth and they did a great job. Will use them again if we move, thanks but no thanks for your recommendation
    Of course you did...

Quote Originally Posted by INXS:
    Of course you did...
    400 bucks an hour for a mover.. PMSL.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast