Like Tree8Likes

Moving within Midlevels or the Same Building - aprox price?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question Moving within Midlevels or the Same Building - aprox price?

Hi all,
    I want to move a 800 square foot flat within midlevels, likely within the same building. What price should I aproximately be looking to pay if I pack myself with a local mover? I contacted Yan Yan and they want $4,500 if I pack myself, $6,500 for them to pack, which seems ridiculously high within the same building. I assume the high cost is due to my neighborhood and non Chinese name. Anyone have a ballpark figure of what we should be paying, for both a full service and local mover? Thanks in advance.

Not more than $2,000-$2,500/

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer:
    Thanks for confirming my suspicion. Do you have a recommendation for a mover who will do this for $2,500 or so? How much extra should it be to pack - $1000?

I paid 800 dollars to move from Kowloon to the island, although I packed myself and had no big furniture.

The big furniture is the issue. If all you have is a few boxes of stuff that are already packed then you're just renting a body to move to put them in the lift and take them out on the new floor. Why would you want to pay someone to do that if money is tight?

If they have to break down and reassemble beds, wardrobes, bookcases etc, and manoeuvre sofas and things around then it's going to be more expensive obviously. It's been a while since I did a same building move, but when I did (for a 100sq.ft apartment with a fair bit of big furniture (beds, wardrobes, sofa, etc) I think I paid about $4-5000.

INXS and SalseroHK like this.

Have you tried some of the other local movers, like

Jumbo
    http://ypsilver.yp.com.hk/ypdiy/Inde...ng=en&cid=1713
    Good care
    http://hongkong.geoexpat.com/resourc...al-movers/2396
    Yiu Ming
    8 Coml Tower, Chai Wan, Hong Kong
    Tel: 28878605
    Chunkie
    http://hongkong.geoexpat.com/resourc...al-movers/5389
    Ika
    http://www.ika.com.hk/household.html

HK2A430 and annapajama like this.

We used Good Care for a couple of local moves. They took good care. But, they disassembled all the lamps to the point that I was rebuilding them. Literally took out wires and everythinng. And, I never found the finials though I went through all the paper over and over carefully. But, overall, good price and the move went okay. We had things moved up those awful steps in Kennedy Town in Tai Hang Terrace too, before the elevator/escalator. I have tons of pretty heavy furniture. Poor guys. I tipped them. PS We LOVE Kennedy Town. Glad to leave the mids.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer:
    ??? How long is a piece of string? Including packing, $6k is okay from a reputable outfit if we're talking an average flat full of stuff....3 men, it will take a whole day.

You could pay some hacks a couple of thousand...will they give a shit about your stuff?

Move house for less than 500 quid? Too many expats become tight asses when they come to HK. Moving house is hard work. Don't expect it to be cheap unless you want damaged goods.
    JAherbert and SalseroHK like this.

We've used Yan Yan before. Wouldn't use them again. You get what you pay for.

We moved up a few floors. The quotes we got from the big companies for a 3br were all $6,000-$8,000. We ended up moving many of the boxes ourselves and had a small company come in just to move furniture for $2,500 or so.

Football16 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast