Step-down voltage converter

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Step-down voltage converter

We just moved from NY to HK. The stupid part of us is that we moved a big flat TV to HK and now find that the TV can only use 120V power input. There is also a fine print on the back of the TV shows: For North America Only. It is a SHARP TV and the model is LC-46SB54U. Does anyone know if I can use the TV in HK? Now hear that the system may not be compatible. Where can I buy a powerful step-down voltage for the converter? It is 60HZ and 256W. Thanks.

I also moved back a desktop computer and a Brother multi-function machine (print, scan and fax). They have the same problem. Thanks very much.

Owen

Something like that will do:

http://www.goldenshop.com.hk/AI-trad...m_300wconv.htm

It's US$38

You can check in Sham Shui Po Apliu St. I would go for a maybe a bit higher rating between 300-500W

You can get step-down transformers at Ap Liu Street, Sham Shui Po. Buy one that is rated about 50-100% higher than the max. power consumption of the equipment you want to connect to it.

Note the TV system here is different so you can't receive terrestrial broadcast. I also found no information that the TV can support video signals via component (YUV) or HDMI with 50 Hz, so likely it's of no use here. You could however try it, shouldn't do any harm.

Thanks both. An additional question: I was unaware of the voltage difference when I landed. So I connected my multi-function machine and my desktop to the power outlet through a simple converter (from 3-legs to 2 legs without voltage change). So both machines have been probably damaged. I actually heard a minor explosion and saw smoke in my multifunction machine. Do you know where I can get a repair man to come to take a look? Will that be outrageously expensive? I definitely need my desktop fixed because there are a lot of files in it. The multi-function machine was bought new for a few hundred USD but can let it go if not easy to fix. Thanks for any lead or advice.

The desktop computer is a relatively easy fix. Check the back to see if there's a little red switch that says "110" or something similar (it should be where the power cord plugs in). If there is, try flipping the switch to "220" and see if it will turn on. If it doesn't, then a simple power-supply replacement is needed. Anyone who's ever built their own computer can help you with that. If you're handy with a screwdriver, you might even be able to do it yourself.

The desktop should have a 110-220 switch at the back by the power cord, but the snap and the smoke is not a good sign. Not at all.

Try switching it to 220 and plugging it in, but it might be fried. You can take it to the repair places in Wanchai Computer Center or in Golden Computer Center. I don't think your data / disk drive is broken, but would be surprised if your power supply is functioning.

For the step down convertor, you can get one at the WECL store in Sham Shui Po on ApLiu Street, the gadget street of Hong Kong. Come out of Exit A2 from the MTR, turn right and it will be about half way down before you get to the next MTR exit, behind the market stalls. Here is a street map view (the entrance is on the ground floor and the gadgets on the 2nd floor).

http://goo.gl/maps/tEG7W

Thanks you all for helpful advice. Will check it out.

We did the same thing three years ago when we moved from NY to HK. Bought a Sharp TV along too and then discovered that couldn't receive HD channels because of the difference in the frequency of broadcast though the TV worked great with a step down transformer that we brought along. In fact we bought a bunch along from the US and gave them away for free when we began to replace our stuff with locally bought products.

Quote Originally Posted by pandancake:
    We did the same thing three years ago when we moved from NY to HK. Bought a Sharp TV along too and then discovered that couldn't receive HD channels because of the difference in the frequency of broadcast though the TV worked great with a step down transformer that we brought along. In fact we bought a bunch along from the US and gave them away for free when we began to replace our stuff with locally bought products.
    nothing to do with frequency, completely different standard, us analog terrestrial tv system was NTSC (not analog TV in US now), now it's atsc for digital (japan - seg1, Europe and Australia - DVB, HK - dtmb same as china)

Quote Originally Posted by fenghua:
    Thanks both. An additional question: I was unaware of the voltage difference when I landed. So I connected my multi-function machine and my desktop to the power outlet through a simple converter (from 3-legs to 2 legs without voltage change). So both machines have been probably damaged. I actually heard a minor explosion and saw smoke in my multifunction machine. Do you know where I can get a repair man to come to take a look? Will that be outrageously expensive? I definitely need my desktop fixed because there are a lot of files in it. The multi-function machine was bought new for a few hundred USD but can let it go if not easy to fix. Thanks for any lead or advice.
    your desktop if worst, the cpu and motherboard is fried, better get new pc, if just psu ( power supply unit ) then it should cost around HK$500-600 to HK$1000 if the official service centre, ie, hp, Lenovo, etc

depending on how expensive your 3 in 1 machine, consult with manufacturer for repairs, hard to say, ie, did you see a lot of smoke? how long was it on for?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast