Like Tree73Likes

Tips on surviving HK's sticky, humid summer

Closed Thread
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast

The Gutter.... I've moved up in the world
    Quote Originally Posted by PencilSkirt:
    Hang out at IFC and consume Belgian chocolate soft serves at Godiva
    That's a slippery slope into spending nights at home listening to heavy metal and gorging on siu mai...
    imparanoic likes this.

Chanting in Steve Ballmer style: Air Conditioner, Air Conditioner, Air Conditioner, Air Conditioner.

Quote Originally Posted by richteralan:
    Chanting in Steve Ballmer style: Air Conditioner, Air Conditioner, Air Conditioner, Air Conditioner.
    until it ends up costing you billions of dollars in stock losses

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Nah the Adidas Clima Cool vests are way better
    I too had wondered about the people I spotted wearing vests under their shits in the height of summer - is the general idea just to get a good snug fitting vest, to avoid turning your shirt into a dretched rag in the summer heat?

Quote Originally Posted by dossier:
    I too had wondered about the people I spotted wearing vests under their shits in the height of summer - is the general idea just to get a good snug fitting vest, to avoid turning your shirt into a dretched rag in the summer heat?
    Exactly

Nothing worse than seeing guys with a massive sweat patch on there back

Well that's basically me at the moment - I wondered how everyone in Causeway Bay looked like they were straight out of a GAP catalogue in perfect dress wear, even in 80% humidity (whilst I looked like a homeless vagrant)

Trebor likes this.

wearing vest, not exactly fashion orientated, I have spare shirts at work,

I will be trying an insulated (cool the water in the fridge or just above freezing in the freezer) water bottle with facial spray feature called o2cool

Mist 'N Sip | O2COOL

For those new to HK, you will notice there is a strange phenomenon in the summer. People will still wear or carry sweaters or light jackets in 32-33 degrees heat (plus the humidity I might add-which makes it feel even hotter still), particularly around the office towers of Central, Wan Chai or Causeway Bay.

Why on earth would they do that? Well its the freak temperature difference. Many of those offices have central air conditioning which dials the temperature down to a frigid 16-18 degrees, requiring you to dress in layers. So you have no choice but to dress or carry winter clothing, not unless you want to catch a cold given the sudden 15 degrees between outdoor or indoor temperature.

dossier and Mrs. Jones like this.

Best way to survive is to embrace nature. Go hiking at the weekend. Sweat like a pig. Get your body used to the temperature. Wear clothing to work that can cope with sweat (I wear silk - dries really quickly). I still find summer hard, but not the intolerable hell it was the first few years here.

dossier, Cho-man and East_coast like this.

hiking is the panacea for most of HK's ailments

Closed Thread
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... LastLast