Like Tree73Likes

Tips on surviving HK's sticky, humid summer

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

I've dumped all the suits I bought with me from the UK, the fabrics and thickness of them were just unsuitable for HK use.

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks

Walk veeeeeeeeeery slowly. At least that's what the locals do...

Incidentally, ACs blow off a lot of hot air. Ever wonder how much cooler the whole city would be if every single building turned off​ their AC?

bookblogger and HK_Katherine like this.

Quote Originally Posted by threelittlepigs:
    For men, buy suits made of wool fresco for the coolest material that is wrinkle resistant.
    A high twist weave should also be considered. More open but doesn't lack body.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Exactly

Nothing worse than seeing guys with a massive sweat patch on there back
    You could always search out a hydrophilic cotton. If that is too hard to find then the light fine shirting from Tessitura Monti should be looked at. Expensive but better than seeing a man with sweat patches

But the best way to get used to the heat is to get used to the heat. Play sport, go hiking etc. Make your body work in the conditions and it will get used to it.
    Last edited by East_coast; 23-03-2015 at 10:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    Walk veeeeeeeeeery slowly. At least that's what the locals do...

Incidentally, ACs blow off a lot of hot air. Ever wonder how much cooler the whole city would be if every single building turned off​ their AC?
    Cho-man likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    So is that saying it would be about 6 degrees cooler in dense urban areas? Well, I guess there are plenty of other factors in urban areas contributing to the heat, so cutting AC alone wouldn't reduce it that much...

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque:
    So is that saying it would be about 6 degrees cooler in dense urban areas? Well, I guess there are plenty of other factors in urban areas contributing to the heat, so cutting AC alone wouldn't reduce it that much...
    6 degrees hotter in dense urban areas
    Cho-man likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    6 degrees hotter in dense urban areas
    Yes yes, said that the wrong way around... The difference is pretty damn significant.
    Cho-man likes this.

AC's won't contribute much to the warming of the city. Urban areas are hotter because wind flow is restricted and there are large densities of humans and traffic there.

If everyone turned off their AC I suspect the City would be a lot cooler.... because people and businesses would shut down and eventually leave.

Open Casket likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    AC's won't contribute much to the warming of the city. Urban areas are hotter because wind flow is restricted and there are large densities of humans and traffic there.

If everyone turned off their AC I suspect the City would be a lot cooler.... because people and businesses would shut down and eventually leave.
    Large proportions of the heat island effect will come
    - The Sun
    - Aircon
    - Combustion Engines

The sun will have a big impact as the buildings are just lumps of concrete with practically no insulation to stop them absorbing energy.

Aircons will probably have a surprisingly high effect. Although the are heat pumps effectively moving heat energy there are lots of them and they are not that efficient

Combustion Engines are highly visible as they are at street level and affect nearly every sense.
    Elegiaque likes this.

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast