Like Tree73Likes

Tips on surviving HK's sticky, humid summer

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    I was taking the usual precautions but came on very suddenly. I know it can lead to heat stroke, which is why I told my companions to be ready to call 999. I've upped my precautions. Fucking scary!
    I have had heat stroke once, in The Philippines, cycling in the mid-day sun, no hat. Yes, I have been foolish in my youth, it very nearly got me!
    Claire ex-ax likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by dipper:
    Yes, get outside and get used to it.

Unbutton your jacket if absolutely necessary, consider taking it it off temporarily if you need to use it to fan a pregnant lady or small child.
    Please don't go unbuttoning your jacket to ladies, you remember what happened last time.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieGordon:
    Please don't go unbuttoning your jacket to ladies, you remember what happened last time.
    You mean they laughed at him?

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    I was taking the usual precautions but came on very suddenly. I know it can lead to heat stroke, which is why I told my companions to be ready to call 999. I've upped my precautions. Fucking scary!
    Yes it is scary. We get incidences on hikes regularly. Managed correctly and caught early enough is fine. We have had to helicopter one guy out though. Generally, I've found heatstroke mainly affecting non-locals, usually either at the beginning of summer or after cool weather (ie they just arrived, it got cool, not been exercising in the heat for a while) or while doing severe exertion (ie running in the middle of the day).

It's not a reason to sit inside all summer though. Take precautions, act on symptom, carry enough water and build up to it gradually and you will be fine. Never hike alone though because all of the above is much easier with folks to help you.

In high humidity it can be difficult to replace lost fluids, so make sure you're well hydrated before you even step out of the house. I go through a gallon in two hours if I'm working out hard in the heat, and usually buy another bottle or two after I'm done.

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    Alternatively, make use of the numerous and very nice public swimming pools, or the beaches. Brand new pool just opened in Kwun Tong, looks great.
    The new Kwun Tong public swimming pool is great!

I try and get there at least once a week, Exit D1 of the Kwun Tong MTR Station, walk through the bus terminus and cross Tsui Ping Road.

The best $19 you can spend on a summer's day.
    Last edited by emx; 20-06-2013 at 06:04 PM.

Uniqlo undershirts = best tip

Lootoo and Rob2020 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by mid_gen:
    Uniqlo undershirts = best tip
    Nah the Adidas Clima Cool vests are way better

I jump into a mountain creek to cool down before I go back home

Eat only cool foods, like fruit, raw veg, sushi. Drink loads of cold water and turn off the hot water and stick to cool showers. I find that the water in the pipes is hot enough that I don't need to turn the heating on. Wide brim hat, loose cotton clothing in light colours to deflect the heat.

Frozen daiquiris, frozen margaritas, 7-11 slurpees.....

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast