Like Tree73Likes

Tips on surviving HK's sticky, humid summer

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MovingIn07:
    Yes it is scary. We get incidences on hikes regularly. Managed correctly and caught early enough is fine. We have had to helicopter one guy out though. Generally, I've found heatstroke mainly affecting non-locals, usually either at the beginning of summer or after cool weather (ie they just arrived, it got cool, not been exercising in the heat for a while) or while doing severe exertion (ie running in the middle of the day).

It's not a reason to sit inside all summer though. Take precautions, act on symptom, carry enough water and build up to it gradually and you will be fine. Never hike alone though because all of the above is much easier with folks to help you.
    Remember not to over drink! If you can't quench your thirst with a few gulps of water you need to worry...

Quote Originally Posted by INXS:
    Remember not to over drink! If you can't quench your thirst with a few gulps of water you need to worry...
    Well I've had days where I've sweated at 2 litres per hour for 7 hours (although 1-1.5 litres per hour is more normal). I find it pretty much impossible to drink at much more than a litre an hour, so over-drinking isn't something I have to worry about!

Finally gave up the full bike leathers until about October. I'm sure I've had a heatstroke every morning now for a month driving to work. Fortunately our office has showers...

Quote Originally Posted by Char Siu King:
    Finally gave up the full bike leathers until about October. I'm sure I've had a heatstroke every morning now for a month driving to work. Fortunately our office has showers...
    Your office has showers?! Maybe SHRI should take note... Ahem...
    gunsnroses likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mid_gen:
    Uniqlo undershirts = best tip
    I agree, however, I'm not quite as impressed with their "Air-ism" undershorts. Without going into unnecessary detail, I've found them to be too hot in these conditions...

So, it's Uniqlo undershirts Vs. Adidas Clima Cool vests?

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

I picked up a couple of Icebreaker (merino wool) products from the outlet in Sydney. I can't wear ordinary wool but this stuff doesn't make me itch. It's supposed to be good for warmer humid weather. Will have to see how it performs in a Hong Kong summer.

Is this Clima Cool stuff anything like UnderArmour Heat Gear? i.e. a close fitting synthetic that's supposed to wick sweat? I tried UnderArmour stuff and it just made me hotter.

Claire: I've tried lightweight Smartwool socks here- bloody hot compared to thin Coolmax ones. Even though the new wool fabrics are marketed as good for hot weather, I think that super-thin synthetics is still better for comfort. To get wool as thin as a synthetic later, it'd just get too fragile and go baggy.

Best stuff I have found for outdoorsy stuff is the Rab Carrington Aeon shirts. Super thin but smooth so not prone to snagging. They have to be ordered from overseas though (unless Chamonix carries them, they carry other Rab gear).

Though for clothing that really handles hot weather, it's probably hard to beat this

http://www.veskimo.com/body-cooling-vest-products.php

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    Claire: I've tried lightweight Smartwool socks here- bloody hot compared to thin Coolmax ones. Even though the new wool fabrics are marketed as good for hot weather, I think that super-thin synthetics is still better for comfort. To get wool as thin as a synthetic later, it'd just get too fragile and go baggy.
    I have a couple of Coolmax tops and want to see how the Icebreaker merino compares, which is why I bought them... and why I bought them from the outlet store.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast