Like Tree73Likes

Tips on surviving HK's sticky, humid summer

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Yes, these monkeys get really angry if you look at them. Be careful! Last time about 50 of them were going to attack me. Lucky other humans came, and they retreated. Are there reports of monkey attacking humans in HK?

And yes, I know they are not called monkeys, but I can't bother finding out what they are called.

Quote Originally Posted by cheepo:
    Are there reports of monkey attacking humans in HK?

And yes, I know they are not called monkeys, but I can't bother finding out what they are called.
    If Garycyk was here he would say yes in Chungking Mansions.

Sent from somewhere....

Yes, these monkeys get really angry if you look at them. Be careful! Last time about 50 of them were going to attack me. Lucky other humans came, and they retreated. Are there reports of monkey attacking humans in HK?

They are macaques. And in my experience they don't attack people per se, but they are extremely aggressive if they perceive that you have something that they could eat and they will basically mug you for it.

And they don't always judge correctly what contains food - someone who I was hiking with had his camera snatched; we chased the macaque and it ran up a tree with it, spent some minutes examining it to see if there was food inside, and then threw it down on to a rock on deciding that there wasn't. That was the end of the camera, although the owner did at least recover the memory card with his pictures.
    Last edited by Gruntfuttock; 21-06-2013 at 05:50 PM. Reason: typos

Do you think if you kicked a monkey or macacacaque would the rest of them gang up on you? Like if one tried to grab something and you hit him before he could snag it...

Last edited by Dankleness; 21-06-2013 at 05:49 PM.

Who knows! Give it a shot and let us know how you fared.

virago likes this.

I think I will try... I can just imagine it happening to me... I'd tell my wife to RUUUNNNNN while I just thrashed around flailing my arms and legs getting pummeled to smithereens by a bunch of whooooping macaques.

Last edited by Dankleness; 21-06-2013 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Macaques, not monkeys, macaques.

Macaques, not monkeys, macaques.

Outsiders don't really know how dangerous the heat in Hong Kong is, when hiking in summer. I remember a few years ago an experienced New Zealand hiker died during a summer hike. I think he fell off a cliff or something and broke his leg and because of the heat he died before they found him (he died because of the heat, not because of the fall). So, my advise if you are new to HK (as the OP seems to be) is "don't go hiking". And if he must, then "don't go hiking alone, without a lot of water, and a fully charged phone". Of course the phone signal isn't all over HK territory, so you might get in trouble anyway.

I also remember the HK government telling people better not to hike in summer, or at least not strenuous hikes or something. I don't really remember, because it doesn't concern me: I think only crazy people or masochists would consider hiking in this heat.
    Yeah, it can take people a while to get used to the humidity, but conversely an Aussie can take a while to get used to hiking in Canadian winters. A bit of sense is necessary at all times. "Don't go hiking" is a bit extreme. I mean, it's not like we're in Dubai in 50 degree heat.

I generally don't pay attention to government statements when it comes to the outdoors. The AFCD are the guys who think that nature = concrete paths. They also stick "no hiking" signs in front of the best rockclimbing areas. All in all, a bit clueless or geared to the very lowest common denominator.

The OP is just cold-acclimatised, she's not clueless.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

A macaque is a monkey.

kimwy66 likes this.

In my opinion, hiking in this heat is not a very good idea. Every summer (or almost every summer) someone dies from heat stroke, or whatever. If indeed you must go hiking bring a lot of water, a phone fully charged to call for help, and tell your friends where you are going.
    Good job your opinion is worth diddly squat then, isn't it?

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast