Like Tree73Likes

Tips on surviving HK's sticky, humid summer

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast

Tips on surviving HK's sticky, humid summer

Had a chat with fellow members at the GeoExpat Happy Hour last night about surviving my first summer in HK, and looks like it’s not just me who’s dreading the hot, sticky weather! Any tips on how to survive the humidity besides hiding away in air-conditioned shopping centres and blowing every penny on ‘window shopping’?

Holiday in the Scottish Highlands for the whole summer!

Go hiking.

You'll get used to being drenched with sweat so much that an "ordinary" walk to the bus stop will seem quite pleasant.

Or, like me, you can go hiking in the Alps where it's not humid and just try and bypass as much of summer as possible!

If only I had the luxury of spending the whole summer away...

Hiking is a pretty good suggestion. Once get used to hiking around trails in high humidity, short walks around the streets seems a bit easier.

It beats sheltering in shopping malls.

Go swimming at the beach, at the pool. Take a vacation to a less hot destination like Australia. If you have to wear a suit to work, now is the best time to throw away all your suits from home, get new ones tailored at one of the many affordable HK tailors in a lightweight wool (210gm). Head to the hills for a hike - wearing shorts and tshirts make hot sticky weather bearable. Reserve a table at the Verandah and enjoy a cold drink. Go on a junk trip to some deserted beach. Go ice skating. There is so much to do than just stay indoors shopping.

Yes, get outside and get used to it.

Unbutton your jacket if absolutely necessary, consider taking it it off temporarily if you need to use it to fan a pregnant lady or small child.

Unbutton your jacket if absolutely necessary, consider taking it it off temporarily if you need to use it to fan a pregnant lady or small child.
    Now that is an EXTREMELY specific suggestion.
    auss likes this.

Hiking? Great for building upper body strength too I guess as I'll probably be lugging around a gallon of water with me to combat dehydration. Junk trip sounds good...

You can try carrying a mini fan with you, that should be helpful.
    Something like this....

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast