Bank account

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bank account

I have right to land in HK but I don't live there and have no address. I would like to open a bank account now and move to HK later. What would I need to do to open bank account?

Turn up at a HK bank with your HKID or passport and proof of the address that you wish to use for the account (anywhere in the world).

Quote Originally Posted by Gruntfuttock:
    Turn up at a HK bank with your HKID or passport and proof of the address that you wish to use for the account (anywhere in the world).
    Thats not true the proof of address has to be in the country of your passport. I have just gone through this hassle last month.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using GeoClicks mobile app

Well I went through it a few months ago (at HSBC) with a friend with a French passport and proof of address in Thailand, so obviously there's more to it than that.

Well I went through it a few months ago (at HSBC) with a friend with a French passport and proof of address in Thailand, so obviously there's more to it than that.
    I had proof of address in philippines. But.Australian passport have not lived in.australia for 10 years. Refused to open account.

This was last month. Tjey said the rukes had changed. Didnt bother asking when.

I suspect that might be the well-known "Philippines effect", particularly if you are of Filipino descent/

I suspect that might be the well-known "Philippines effect", particularly if you are of Filipino descent/
    Im not im Australian. But your right it coukd have something to do with my permanent address being in the Philippines.

It seems to vary from bank to bank ... Bank of China definitely requires proof of address within the jurisdiction one applies for the account (whether here, or Macau, or mainland).

I suspect other "Chinese" banks have similar policies, while more "international" ones like HSBC or SC have the more liberal policies on address proof.

To be safe bring an original bill from your cell phone provider or electric co. that shows your prior residence - home address - not a postal box number though.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast