US expats- what should i stock up on over here before the move to hk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

If you like Tostitos/Tortilla Chips, stock up. They are impossible to find fresh here, or are usually out of stock and they cost an arm and a leg.

Also, Ketchup Chips, they don't have em here. I'm not even sure if they have them in the US, it might be a Canadian thing, but they're pretty tasty.

Anything and everything for the bathroom.

If you play sports, stock up on athletic tape, mouthguards, clothing etc.

Quote Originally Posted by climber07:
    Umm... basketcase...actually all of the above are available at Gateway (which carries many Costco products like Kirkland). US Peanut Butter is available at my local Park 'n Shop and definitely at places like Taste. But we do go to Gateway to get Smuker's Grape Jelly.

Stock up on Deodorant. Favorite Over-the-counter medicine (Dayquil / Niquil, etc.). Large size shoes for men, make-up for women, vitamins.
    I'm with climber07 on his stock-up items. I would add large size anything (clothes/shoes/undies) regardless of sex.
    You can buy almost everything here, although certain specific brands might not be available.
    I think it depends on how attched you are to your brands.
    Any brand you have to have, ask us and we'll let you know if it is here.
    Any brand where you don't care as much, leave home.

Here's some of the stuff I like to have people bring me from the US:

1. Hanes wifebeaters (a-shirts)

2. Soap (I'm picky and like the organic stuff)

3. Cigars. There are a few brands of American cigars that aren't available here. I know we get Cubans here, but sometimes it just had to be American tobacco.

4. Spices. I have Caribbean and Latino spices brought out here. I can't get scotch bonnet peppers, Goya sazon or allspice berries locally.

Another thing that can be hard to find is limes. All we seem to get locally is the Thai kind which is a lot sweeter. I didn't even notice until my ex-girlfriend (from Wisconsin) pointed it out to me one day.

5. Beer and rum. Someone on Geoexpat was nice enough to bring me a bottle of Brugal (Dominican rum) and my brother brought me a bunch of beer from the Caribbean that simply isn't available here.

6. NyQuil. Terrible for you, but it works. Definitely something you want to have around during the sniffles season.

Things I need: corn flour for tortillas, t-shirts from cafepress.com, etc. Oh yeah, if you have big feet (I wear 13.5 US in Nikes), stock up. It can be hard to get shoes in large sizes here. Pretty much all my footwear was bought in the US.

Last edited by jayinhongkong; 12-05-2008 at 05:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by basketcase:
    tylenol
    Eh? That is just bizarre. Paracetemol / acetaminophen (or which ever other variant of tylenol you bring) is just a chemical - it really doesn't matter what the brand is on the box!

Quote Originally Posted by PDLM:
    Eh? That is just bizarre. Paracetemol / acetaminophen (or which ever other variant of tylenol you bring) is just a chemical - it really doesn't matter what the brand is on the box!
    I do understand what this is made of. I should have clarified my statement a little bit more to include the "full line" of this product (tylenol sinus, tylenol pm, tylenol cold, etc.) It is just so much easier in the US to go to the drug store and find exactly what you want instead of having to read the ingredients on each box and hope you are getting the right thing for a cold or your sinuses.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2