US expats- what should i stock up on over here before the move to hk

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

US expats- what should i stock up on over here before the move to hk

so- i've already realized that my favorite hair paste doesn't exist over there ...so i've picked up a bunch of those.

in addition, i've noticed that designer labeled stuff is cheaper here, so i'm also stocking up on that

other than those two things, should i be looking into getting anything else? obviously i can't bring a supply of ny pizza's or philly cheesesteaks with me....

thanks!

Here are the most challenging things that I can not find here that I always stock up on when I return to the US to bring back:

All Hair products
    Packaged Tuna, Chicken, Salmon, etc
    Packaged Soups
    For women - make-up
    Anything low-fat, fat-free (100 calorie paks)
    Crystal Light Lemonade pack
    Paper Towels / Tissues
    Windex Wipes
    US Peanut Butter

You can buy some of these food items here but they are so much more expensive. BTW - you can get a fairly decent pizza but I've never found a good Philly. Good Luck!

Gotta get you Gap and Banana Republic clothes out in the US.

You will be surprised on the foodstuuf that you can find here albeit slightly pricier.

There is a min Costco like store in Sheung Wan which sells a lot of the US branded food products as well as paper (kitchen) towels, big containers of tide etc etc.

I wouldn't ship too much food stuff that is not in cans as with the weather here, expect it to go off quickly.

I ship lots and lots of food here. I ship/bring my food in vacuum packed bags. I never bring cans. It all holds up very well. One more thing to add is coffee.

I have bought the US branded paper products in Hong Kong and have found them not near as good as the ones that you can by in the US.

I would love to know where I can buy good strong paper towels. Thanks.

baksetcase

Get your American style paper towels at Gateway in Sheung Wang. The store is in the basement and it is almost diagonally opposite Wing On.

We get the Bounty Brand.

Is that what you were looking for ?

after 13 years here, i still bring my deoderant (degree) and my toothpaste(close-up, arm & hammer, aim). i often bring aussie mega/moist shampoo too.

i can go crazy in the supermarkets at home. one time, i bought an ice hockey bag and spent $200 CAD on crap... beef jerkey, cookies, dog treats, chocolate, and the above.... it was great! it was like christmas, but better!

Carang, I do the same things sometimes when I go back to the US I fill up with good old American Junk Food in my suitcase. You just can not get the same flavor as US. You're right it does seem like Christmas.

Katanga - thanks for the advise on Bounty towels. Those are the exact brand that I bring back. I'll check out your source.

Quote Originally Posted by basketcase:
    Packaged Tuna, Chicken, Salmon, etc
    Packaged Soups
    Crystal Light Lemonade pack
    Paper Towels / Tissues
    US Peanut Butter
    Umm... basketcase...actually all of the above are available at Gateway (which carries many Costco products like Kirkland). US Peanut Butter is available at my local Park 'n Shop and definitely at places like Taste. But we do go to Gateway to get Smuker's Grape Jelly.

Stock up on Deodorant. Favorite Over-the-counter medicine (Dayquil / Niquil, etc.). Large size shoes for men, make-up for women, vitamins.
    Last edited by climber07; 11-05-2008 at 08:22 AM.

Climber - I have seen Peanut Butter at the Park 'N Shop that I shop at also except I like the low fat extra crunchy by Jiffy. As I mentioned earlier it is difficult to find low fat versions of many foods that are readily available in the US. I guess I am just really picky and have a lot of favorite brands of certain foods that I can not find substitutes for. I tend to just shop at my neighborhood store. I will certainly try Gateway. Thanks for the suggestion I have not had Smucker's jelly for a long time.

I also agree - bring deodorant, tylenol, toothpaste and large size shoes for women as well.

and bras if you don't want a padded one!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast