Bikes, Ferries and where to ride

Closed Thread

Bikes, Ferries and where to ride

Sorry, I'm sure this has been asked many mant times and I did do a quick search but found things for a couple of years ago and just wanted to make sure the info I get was up to date

So can I take a bicycle on the ferry from Discovery Bay to Central? Is there a charge?

Do you have to wear bike helmets in HK?

Do you ride on the footpath/sidewalk or the road?

Is there designated bike lanes?

I understand it is not a hugely bike-friendly city but would the ride from Central pier to Wan Chai be safe enough? Is there a lesser used road that make it safer?

Many thanks for your help

>> the ride from Central pier to Wan Chai be safe enough

No. I would personally not recommend that stretch as it is VERY congested for most of the day.

Might change in a year or so once the new harborside area is opened up.

>So can I take a bicycle on the ferry from Discovery Bay to Central? Is there a charge?

I think there's a charge, not a lot.. best if a DB'ite answers this!

>Do you have to wear bike helmets in HK?

as far as I know, yes. and you'd be mad not to. though most the locals don't seem to...

>Do you ride on the footpath/sidewalk or the road?

supposedly on the road, but everyone rides anywhere... you'll see feeble old men meandering in and out of traffic going the opposite direction whilst riding a "legend" carrying an LPG cyclinder, smoking a rolly...

>Is there designated bike lanes?

yes, but mostly in NT, not so much in HK Island... and most of them in NT are for MTB (there are a few good sealed paths, but I'm not familiar with them...)

>I understand it is not a hugely bike-friendly city but would the ride from Central pier to Wan Chai be safe enough? Is there a lesser used road that make it safer?

I would not do it, but lots of people do. not your regular recreational rider or commuter though. the safest road is in a bus or the MTR

HTH,

DDF

Last edited by dropdedfwed; 17-05-2008 at 06:21 PM.

thanks so far for the replies...wow though...who woulda thunk it would be so dangerous to ride 1km to wan chai...lol...guess he can walk it or bus it instead!

I'm planning on purchasing a mountain bike and will need to get to the ferry piers from WanChai too.

I'm not going to walk my bike to and from there and don't plan on grabbing a cab either.

I'd concur with the above. And remember that for several months of the year it's really very hot and sticky, so unless there are showers where he is going and he can manage the logistics of business clothing etc then the bus is the way to go.

i hear there is a good trail near gold coast in tuen mun anyone know where you can get onto it?

there's a decent trail behind So Kwun Wat. It's part of the Machelose trail I think, but technically you can't get to it by bike, as the road has a no bikes sign... (but there's no traffic either).

roughly, go to So Kwun Wat, right to the end of the road near the bus stop (near the temple). take the road to your left, and follow it along until you get to a fork in the road, take the right branch. It's a nice climb, not too bad. The trail is pretty good, nothing hard core.

Otherwise go the the bike shop in Tuen Mun, in Tak Ching court (can't remember the name, Shun Lee, maybe??). The bike shop owner knows the trails real well, and he's a pretty keen MTBer. He may be able to give you better descriptions... or PM me...

To get to So Kwun Wat, take Kwun Tsing road behind Aegean Coast!!

HTH,

DDF

Last edited by dropdedfwed; 18-05-2008 at 06:27 PM.