Like Tree33Likes

Electricity Bills

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast

Electricity Bills

Howdy-ho,

I am writing regarding the high cost of my electricity bills and hoping to gain a bit of perspective as I think i'm being ripped off...

I am with HK Electric and for the last three months I have been living in my 1 bedroom apartment (flying solo I may add) and receiving bills for over $1000 each month (not including first months $1000 deposit).

I never leave lights on unless I'm in the room, my aircon is on low when I sleep and very rarely any other time and I only do 2 or 3 washes a week and occasionally pop on the dryer.

Fro what I've heard from other people, I am paying way too much. Can anyone shed some light on the matter? Am I being fussy or does this sound about right?

Many thanks

Jess Cooper

That sounds about right for what you pay. dont forget your refrigerator, which is on 24/7/365,
    add the air conditioner usage, personal computer, TV, any hifi gear etc etc.

Our largest bill this year was $4700 for a 6 person household, running 3 air conditioners at night over the hotter months, during winter our electricity bill drops off to about $1500hkd for a 2100ft stand alone house.

In my opinion, electricity is actually quite cheap, our electricity bill prior to going solar back in Melbourne hovered between $700AUS and $1200AUS, now the utility company pays me money .

Leaving your air con overnight is a costly business. Lights etc pretty irrelevant to the bill but air-con chews up power. Would not surprise me if your bill is correct. In the winter without air-con expect much lower bills.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

It's much higher than ours. We tend to have one air-conditioner on (living room or bedroom if night), computer, phones/tablets recharging, washer/dryer combo, counter-top oven... the usual stuff. The HKE bill that arrived yesterday was for $350, obviously that's less the government subsidy.

Is your water heater gas or electric? The latter seems to be a more expensive way to heat water, from what I've seen.

chingleutsch likes this.

How many air conditioners?

But HK$1000 a month seems excessive.

We have a 3 bed flat, have 2 AC on low at night and one in the day. We also regularly use an electric oven.
    My bill is usually around 400-500 per month.

I think you should question it.

Edit:I'm assuming your cooker and boiler is gas. If they're electric it's probably right.

Last edited by usehername; 23-10-2013 at 01:29 PM.

We had our A/C on 24/7 for weeks on end during the summer, we never broke the $1,000 barrier. Is the dryer a gas or electricity unit? It could very well be the dryer that's putting you over the top.

Your bill will drop considerably when it gets cooler. Ours is at least double in summer due to aircon.

You can try cleaning their aircon filters in the meanwhile. It apparently improves efficiency a bit.

Thanks for the responses! My water and over are gas powered and I don't have an over or dishwasher. Aside from the aircon at night and the recharging of my phone and laptop I don't under stand how it can be so much!

Quote Originally Posted by JessCooper89:
    Thanks for the responses! My water and over are gas powered and I don't have an over or dishwasher. Aside from the aircon at night and the recharging of my phone and laptop I don't under stand how it can be so much!
    turn _everything_ off and see if the meter is still running

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast