Permanent Residence question.

Closed Thread

Permanent Residence question.

A friend just lost his permanent residency status because he didn't return to Hong Kong within the last two years. Have the rules changed again whereby residents living outside Hong Kong must return ever 24 months instead of 36, or is this just a special case? I haven't found anything mentioning it thus far. Thanks.

I wasn't aware of a change, but as I understand it all that happens is that your Right of Abode changes to a Right to Land, which is, for all practical purposes, the same.

Well this guy lost his ID card after living in hong kong for many years and marrying a Hong Kong Chinese. They told him at the airport and he is now on tourist status. Looks like maybe there are some pieces missing from his story but as is, it's quite scary. I'd like to know the rules before I take leave from Hong Kong again and I can imagine the rules on ROA and RTO changing. Thanks by the way.

Was he a Permanent Resident or just on Unconditional Stay? There is a difference.

He said he was a PR. Moved here in the eighties. I suppose if things haven't changed then his story must not be so straightforward!

Exclamation how do I tell the difference?

Us or Pr? on my ID still have the old one. or in my pp? ty

You need to look at the code letters described here:

http://www.immd.gov.hk/ehtml/hkid_frontinfo.htm

Unhappy Ty Bp

I still have the old card will be changing soon. The letters are
    AFOY ??

Last edited by sweets; 03-02-2005 at 01:16 AM. Reason: can't see right side ads on writing space yes IE