Smartone-Vodafone vs. 3

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by KnowItAll
    Traffic - as a E61 Qwerty phone user, I'm curious, what makes the iPhone so special? Only reason I'm curious is because you mentioned that you were a Blackberry user and I cannot imagine giving up a phone with an actual keyboard for a touchscreen version.
    I too used to have the E61i and I thought it was a great phone, UNTIL i got my iPhone... Makes the E61 look like a dinosaur in terms of usability and function...

As for Smarttone, I was on 3g plan with the e61 and it cost me a bomb, over HK$700 a month for voice and data. When i switched to iPhone (2G) I cut my monthly bill to less than HK$300 voice and Data.

My phone guy in Wan Chai, (seems to know alot, but of course is all speculation/rumor) says that the iPhone is going to come with a 20 month contract at roughly $500 for 3g data service. But the phone will only cost you HK$1400... So if you work that out over the life of the contract your iphone is gonna cost over HK$10K... I for one am sticking to my 2G version.. but as i say.. ALL SPECULATION as we will have to wait til the 11th to find out... other than that all i can say is iPhone is wonderful...

Dataplans, seems there is confusion! Let's look at the figures:

Vodafone:

2MB - $28
    5MB - $58
    20MB- $118
    100MB - $188
    180MB - $288
    Unlimited - $488

3HK

2MB - $28
    5MB - $58
    50MB - $98
    100MB - $198
    500MB - $288
    Unlimited - $488

This is for 3G and is a true comparison of cost. Obviously services such as GPRS are not available on 3 so comparisons are not available to be made there. Why buy a 3G iPhone and not use 3G? Looking at PCCW the figures are similar.

Tariff's already available on 3HK website 3HK: iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by jaykay
    Tariff's already available on 3HK website 3HK: iPhone

They look pretty decent to me.

3 vs. Smart One

The difference? short answer: customer service

i was with 3 and all its incarnations for nine years. service got worse and worse until i had to give it up.

one example: they called me while on holiday in Bali about an unpaid bill. I had just paid my bill, so i asked for more details. they promised to call back. Instead 48 hours later they turned off my service. after contacting them by skype, they said i had two bills unpaid, both more than 2 years old !! I said i had not seen any notices, so please send them to me and if true i will pay, but i am on holiday now, so please return my service. It took 45 min. of begging and pleading to get this courtesy arranged. During it, they made me promise to pay for service that hadn't even been billed yet.

They may have coverage, roaming, iphone, blah, blah, blah, but god help you if you ever have a billing problem and need someone with a brain to sort it out for you (like changing from one plan to a lower plan and getting a credit for prepaid fees...). Even if you are a nine year VIP, heavy use customer, you get no service now.

In contrast, i had a problem with smartone, where i transferred a number to someone else, but kept getting billed for it. They arranged a meeting with a live person, face to face, who sorted out the problem and issued a credit to me within a week.

screw signal coverage and iphones, go with a provider that takes care of you when you need it.

>> Even if you are a nine year VIP, heavy use customer, you get
    >> no service now.

Reason I switched from them during the Orange / 3 transition.

er2

Traffic - as a E61 Qwerty phone user, I'm curious, what makes the iPhone so special? Only reason I'm curious is because you mentioned that you were a Blackberry user and I cannot imagine giving up a phone with an actual keyboard for a touchscreen version.
    my 2 cents... First thing, it allows you to leave your ipod at home Just one gadget less to carry around, for me this is the biggest reason. If I'd often write emails, I'd also stick with the blackberry - the touchscreen is cool but for anything as long as this post so far rather tiring imho.

If you are, however, a Maccie like me - I just love to watch my Jon Stewart on the bus. Screen is great! Browsing is also imho way better than with any other smartphone.

About the rates - I think it is weird they have the same data allowance for the three small plans. Should be noticed too that 150HK$/month of the 498 for the biggest plan actually go into iphone subsidies - you have to pay 138$ for the 16GB version only. If you use the minutes (i need less than 100 per month ) I think the rates are ok.

After subscribing with 3, Peoples and now Smartone, I am most happy with Smartone. The price is good. Only good thing about 3 when I signed up is that you get a 'free' phone. I traded mine in for another one at Fortress when I got bored with it and didn't have to pay much extra at all.

Quote Originally Posted by octarine
    I've played with an iPhone, but don't actually own one (I have the P1i too). The on-screen keyboard isn't really so bad, not much more difficult to use than the P1i's "dual key" thing.
    I totally disagree. With my P1i I am close to or faster than on my company issued Blackberry. With the iPhone I just could not get up to a decent speed - just too many "mishits." Admittedly only tried for a while, but was not really seeing any progress. Deal-breaker for me as I am a heavy texter...

The difference with the iPhone is that it responds when you press the interface, there's no 3 second lag like you get on Series 60 (and to a lesser extent IME, UIQ).
    Agree with that.

3 will have to come up with some kind of decent data plan for the iPhone launch, because their current tariffs suck.
    And completely agree with that - although I am not getting my hopes up...

Hi KIA

Well, right now I'm using a BB 8820 (because my iPhone was confiscated by my better half and I'm waiting for a new release), and you can't even imagine how much I hate the BB interface and features after several months with the iPhone.

Yes, I agree that typing on an actual keyboard is easier and allows you, for instance, do so sometimes even without looking at the screen (especially usefull while driving ), but hey, how often do you actually need it? The keyboard on iPhone is bigger when the BB's, and I found it quite comfortable to use if you look at it. Also the auto-correction pretty much takes care of all typo's, if you have any, right away.

Another issue, which I don't even want to compare between these 2 devices is the web browsing. iPhone is a first phone I've used where I could comfortably chat or use for the forums.

... well, I could go on and on, but have to run

P.S. For these who have "played" with the iPhone for a couple of hours, my opinion: originally, when I bought the phone as a present and had a chance to set it up, I was wondering what this buzz was all about - I found it quite a headache to set up everything, sync outlook with iTunes, set up programs and so on, but once I've got the phone for 2 weeks to play with, I could not let it go.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast