HK Driver's License

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

HK Driver's License

I have recently moved to HK with a UK driver's license. I would like to get a HK license, but I don't fulfill the specific requirements on Transport Department ?B??p, as follows...

The site states:

The overseas driving licence must be:

(b) must be obtained through passing of driving test held in the issuing country or place.

Apparently I have to provide documentary evidence of this. Unfortunately I exchanged my previous license (from another country) for my UK license, so I did not pass a test in the UK and therefore don't meet this condition.

My question is, how strict are they on this? Has anyone gone through this recently, if so were you asked to provide evidence of a pass in your home country?

Thanks for help

the only evidence you need is your UK driver's license. for $90HKD (it may have gone up) and a single form, they'll give you a 10 year HK driver's license. as we've been in HK for a while, we no longer have one from back home. but every time we go back, we get an international licence ($80HKD) issued from the transport department.

Quote Originally Posted by bmchin
    the only evidence you need is your UK driver's license. for $90HKD (it may have gone up) and a single form, they'll give you a 10 year HK driver's license. as we've been in HK for a while, we no longer have one from back home. but every time we go back, we get an international licence ($80HKD) issued from the transport department.
    just to correct what I assume is a typo here..the HK licence (10 years) is $900 not $90.

Quote Originally Posted by bmchin
    HK$900, not HK$90! If you no longer have a UK license your HK license will suffice in UK, no need for an international license.

You only need to fill a form and present them with your UK license and proof of staying there for at least 6 months. Then you will be able to change for a HK license. Remember to choose manual license otherwise they will give you a 1A automatic one.

I am transf mine tomorrow - my working visa in my passport exp end of aug 09 - its about to be renewed, will they not let me get it because my new visa is not in the passport?!!?!

Quote Originally Posted by jereb
    I am transf mine tomorrow - my working visa in my passport exp end of aug 09 - its about to be renewed, will they not let me get it because my new visa is not in the passport?!!?!
    they don't check your Visa, just your HKID is enough,
    HK Driving license is available for visitors also, just your passport and your home country driving license would be required

WBR
    Syed

I think Taxi drivers should double check if they can get a licence. Most of them do not know how to drive... the consistent jerking feeling

Quote Originally Posted by jamesii
    I think Taxi drivers should double check if they can get a licence. Most of them do not know how to drive... the consistent jerking feeling
    Taxi drivers here are much better drivers than those in some other western cities. In Toronto, for example, cabbies are constantly cutting people off, pulling illegal U-turns, and have no regard for pedestrians or cyclists just to chase down their next fare. They are the cause of a large percentage of accidents in urban areas. I'd take the consistent jerking feeling in HK taxis please.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddy Mundo
    Taxi drivers here are much better drivers than those in some other western cities. In Toronto, for example, cabbies are constantly cutting people off, pulling illegal U-turns, and have no regard for pedestrians or cyclists just to chase down their next fare. They are the cause of a large percentage of accidents in urban areas. I'd take the consistent jerking feeling in HK taxis please.
    Eh? Sounds exactly like HK cabbies!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast