Like Tree6Likes

US Expats - what were your were first contact points in HK?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

US Expats - what were your were first contact points in HK?

Hi all - a favour to ask from US HK-based expats. This isn't spam dont worry!

I'm doing a bit of research and I wondered what your first points of contact were on arrival here to meet people/acclimatise etc. I mean places like the American Club. Any other suggestions?

Thanks for any pointers...

- B

I attended a couple get togethers organized by some fellow geo expaters within the first few weeks of arriving in HK. I'm still friends with them 2 years later

Tom007 likes this.

The Globe....

Couchsurfing
    Hong Kong Hiking Meetup
    GeoExpat

I'm not from the US, but prior to arriving and preplanning, I googled and discovered Geoexpat in order to ask questions so that I'd know what to expect from HK life. Upon arriving, the LAST thing I thought of was to seek out fellow expats from my own country. My first help, and now a friend, is the PA of my husband's boss , who is a local. The rest, I have met some through groups listed in HK Meet up, Internations, geoexpat groups. Infact, I couldn't say I'm best buddies with anyone from my home country, but friends with people from different countries and walks of life. That's what has given me a positive perspective about living in HK.

dip85 likes this.

I checked farcebook and internations first but just full of spammers. I did find another forum but was very clicky and was almost dead. Then I found this one and my first meet up with any geoexpaters was the Wan Chai lunch group. Then one thing lead to another and now geo all the way.
    Have had some great advise from some members especially from the likes of skyhook, HC, Grunty amongst many.
    I still havent acheived my goal of getting that one piece of critical information I need for my retirement fund but that particular member (I am not mentioning Jimbo's name) just wont tell.

jimbo likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Trance Omega:
    I checked farcebook and internations first but just full of spammers. I did find another forum but was very clicky and was almost dead. Then I found this one and my first meet up with any geoexpaters was the Wan Chai lunch group. Then one thing lead to another and now geo all the way.
    Have had some great advise from some members especially from the likes of skyhook, HC, Grunty amongst many.
    I still havent acheived my goal of getting that one piece of critical information I need for my retirement fund but that particular member (I am not mentioning Jimbo's name) just wont tell.
    Can't divulge! Otherwise everybody will be doing it lol

>> I mean places like the American Club.

Your experiences at the American Club would depend on your income level and how american you want to be.

NOT saying anything bad about it at all - excellent facilities, but they do have a few style over substance issues with a few members.

Elegiaque likes this.

why move to another country if all you want is the one you just left?

USA40-40 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by chris_yang22:
    why move to another country if all you want is the one you just left?
    She might not have much choice. OP could be a trailing spouse
    Last edited by Trance Omega; 06-02-2014 at 02:51 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast