Like Tree87Likes

Visiting Hong Kong/Shenzhen

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by GlobalExport:
    Do you patrol these forums for a living? No job, wife, kids?
    Is this your only source for social interaction?
    I participate for fun. Fully employed, wife & 3 kids and this is part of my daily social interaction.
    If none of the above is true I'm not understanding your purpose here in this thread.
    Help people looking for help along with general amusement.

Do you use forums to solicit opinions and then insult the participants when they give you answers you dont agree with? I'm not understanding *your* motivation.

You seem to have figured it all out already, days ago -- so bugger off and do your trading then. Time is money and you are wasting both by arguing

GlobalExport - after insulting about everyone who tried to be helpful, do you really expect anybody to volunteer useful information, tips and/or contacts to you?

Hey you middle aged losers, tell me where to get the best deals on phones or I will insult you.

And you sellers, COD means COD, now come deliver to my hotel with no money down, I am American!!!

I love this guy's approach to visiting a foreign country.

Boy is he going to get taken for a ride if he ventures into Wan Chai for the night.

Globalexport, people have tried to be helpful but you are not prepared to listen.

elle and chungchungalice like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Boy is he going to get taken for a ride if he ventures into Wan Chai for the night.
    Let's just hope he'll update us on that

I'm starting to lean towards this being a piss-take... such a classic "ask for information, assume you know better, get defensive, get offensive" thread.

INXS, elle and bookblogger like this.

Quote Originally Posted by vmlinuz:
    I'm starting to lean towards this being a piss-take... such a classic "ask for information, assume you know better, get defensive, get offensive" thread.
    Nah this is usual geo behavior

It's 4am now my side of the globe, but before I get some sleep I just have to ask, how is it possible for my worst case scenario to be me getting taken for all the money I have?

I'm not entering Shenzhen with any large amount of money, just enough for cab fare.

It will be COD, supplier will bring it to my hotel in HK during the day, I'm staying at an American chain hotel, I'd like to think the hotel lobby is a secure location to make the transaction.

I'm willing to bet for said amount of money and a concrete agreement for a meeting place I'll encounter a supplier in SEG plaza who will bring the phones to me in HK. How they get them across isn't my concern, their Chinese citizens they know the ropes.

Lastly, COD means COD, I'll inspect the goods, and their packaging, open up 1 or 2 phones at random and make sure their in working order before any money changes hands.

As far as exporting them myself, I've fired off an email to DHL HK and the Airline I'm flying in regards to IATA regulations and how best to meet them.

And in regards to VAT or any other duty, there is a permit for that, it costs about $20USD, it will allow me to take "radio devices" in large quantity out of HK.

It is important for me to know the root of your concerns because if they are valid I need to properly address them now. I do appreciate your feedback.
    What makes you think that your potential supplier can just jaunt over the border to Hong Kong to meet with you in your hotel lobby to hand over the goods? it's not that easy for Chinese people to get visa's to come to Hong Kong. It's not easy for them to export large quantities of goods. Frankly, it's likely to be a huge hassle for them.

So - they will persuade you to come back next day with the cash and then all the downsides already mentioned are likely to happen.

I agree with everyone else - accident waiting to happen. Buy 10 phones from this supplier (or any other) on Alibaba or Tabao? (sp - that other one) and see how it goes. If all goes well, buy more and negotiate a discount. One step at a time.

You do NOT necessarily need to meet in person to negotiate a discount. If you do not speak Mandarin, it's more likely to be a disadvantage. At least if you are having an email exchange both sides can get help with the words to ensure clarity.
    chungchungalice likes this.

HK has a more stringent rule of law? Ok. Possibly. I don't know how much that factors into the equation when I'm turning to the grey markets to buy goods, both are not really regulated, but you've finally raised a legitimate claim I guess... I wouldn't do business with a rep who doesn't have a set location I could always walk in and see them at, kind of the whole point of me traveling half way across the world to meet and greet face to face.

There's nothing amusing about me saying I know my way around these people. I'm an American, born and raised, but my parents aren't. Father is African, mother is Paki. I know my people on both sides, and I know how they operate, and unfortunately they most certainly target a specific demographic of people for their scams, a shark will try his hand at everyone obviously, but they soon realize who they can and can't take advantage of.... After 5mins of back and forth they'll know I'm not bait. Some won't even waste their time, others will be eager to work with someone they see a kin with American connections. As for the Chinese traders, I have a buddy in Shanghai who can assist. Culture is a big deal in all of this, makes it much easier or harder to enter these tight knit communities.
    Oh boy. Where to start.

You even QUESTION that HK has a greater rule of law than China? LMAO.

You think some college kid from Shanghai is going to make a difference? Unless he's the son-in-law of your supplier, most likely, zero benefit and possibly make things worse.

You think being of mixed race is going to help you in China? You know many people in China still think black people just don't wash, don't you?

BUT PLEASE, do, come back and let us all know how you get on. Ideally with videos. Entertainment of that order will be fun.

He is so academic and been living in a sheltered environment. Knowing nothing on the real world not to mention even the i/o rules, customs requirements, bet he had never seen a snatch and run case or beat up on the street in his utopia.... etc.
    Tell u what, your Shanghai friend if he/she had not been to Shenzhen before, he/she will also be shocked by what he/she sees in those markets. Shanghai is much more regulated and legal than in Shenzhen...
    Many good opinions have been given to u here, I just want to add a few minor issues, the outside world is dangerous kid, u may not find police as helpful as what u think when u have a problem, do not assume the fact that waiving an American passport can get u out of any trouble.
    I really think u should please go ahead and remember to update us, looking forward to hearing your big business success story! good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast