Like Tree87Likes

Visiting Hong Kong/Shenzhen

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast

Nobody takes travellers checks

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks

Quote Originally Posted by MCDC:
    Sounds ridiculous. It's not like HK is some 3rd world country or somewhere where using your ATM card is super sketchy.... like in Mexico.

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks
    Yeah maybe so, but when I spoke to my banker at Chase he said not to use any cards in Shenzhen(China), I figure I should be fine using them in a global city like HK.

Absolutely do not use western based credit cards in mainland china. Just way too easy to find yourself behind some huge hidden scam. Such a scam maybe not by the original vendor but some keystroke hacker unknown to the vendor. You may not know but the largest bill in china is only 100 rmb, which is US$16.00 so once the US money is converted to RMB, you will have a big bag of bills; highly conspicuous. Carry the US money, nice, neat and clean $100 bills, to china and convert there at the local Bank of China. Avoid chinese custom inquiries and don't exchange all the US money at one time or at one bank.

chungchungalice likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by jobin:
    Absolutely do not use western based credit cards in mainland china. Just way too easy to find yourself behind some huge hidden scam. Such a scam maybe not by the original vendor but some keystroke hacker unknown to the vendor. You may not know but the largest bill in china is only 100 rmb, which is US$16.00 so once the US money is converted to RMB, you will have a big bag of bills; highly conspicuous. Carry the US money, nice, neat and clean $100 bills, to china and convert there at the local Bank of China. Avoid chinese custom inquiries and don't exchange all the US money at one time or at one bank.
    Thank you very much for your insight on the matter.

2 Follow up questions:

Is it advisable for me to bring (enter Shenzhen) with $20,000USD undeclared?

Will I even be able to leave Shenzhen and re-enter Hong Kong with with a suitcase containing 200-300 mobile phones?
    Last edited by GlobalExport; 22-03-2014 at 09:28 AM.

If you bring USD20k with you from the States, be prepared (1) to declare it at all borders, and (2) for questioning by Homeland Security/ HK/China Customs. If you dont declare the cash, you risk raising suspicions and losing it all. You should bring a bank statement showing it came from your own account and not under your mattress. That much cash lights up all the bells for money laundering and terrorist financing.

bibbju, emx and chungchungalice like this.

You might be able to get a good deal on mobile phones from the shops in Chungking Mansions.

I'll check there first, but from what I've been told Chungking Mansion merchants get all their electronic goods from Shenzhen and Guangzhou.

I figured I'll get a better pricing subtracting one middle man from the equation and heading into mainland China.

$5000 USD I thought...

If you are going in on a legitimate business visa, declaring 25k won't be a problem.

Otherwise, leave it on a couple of debit cards and draw it out of ATMs China side.

Quote Originally Posted by GlobalExport:
    I'll check there first, but from what I've been told Chungking Mansion merchants get all their electronic goods from Shenzhen and Guangzhou.

I figured I'll get a better pricing subtracting one middle man from the equation and heading into mainland China.
    If you show up in Shenzhen for the first time, with a bag of cash (in US dollars, no less) and asking around (in English) about where to buy goods . . . it'll be feeding time at the zoo and you will get to play the part of the meal.

Why not look at alibaba for the goods you want?

Quote Originally Posted by huja:
    If you show up in Shenzhen for the first time, with a bag of cash (in US dollars, no less) and asking around (in English) about where to buy goods . . . it'll be feeding time at the zoo and you will get to play the part of the meal.

Why not look at alibaba for the goods you want?
    Hahaha @ "feeding time at the Zoo"

I don't really trust Alibaba, making such a large transaction(large amount to me, I'm just a broke college student ), I really need to see the faces of the people I am transacting with and the quality of the product.

It's also a convenient excuse to travel

I think the best route might be to go over to Shenzhen/Guangzhou, agree on a price/quantity with a vendor, and then have the vendor bring it to me in Hong Kong and get cash on delivery.

I'm hesitant to deal with the red tape or bureaucracy of a foreign country, it appears that's what awaits me if I decide move the cash or goods in or out of mainland China myself.

Thanks to all for their feedback.
    Last edited by GlobalExport; 22-03-2014 at 10:53 AM.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast