Like Tree87Likes

Visiting Hong Kong/Shenzhen

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast

I sent you a private message.....

Quote Originally Posted by GlobalExport:
    I'm just a broke college student
    With $25,000 USD?

Quote Originally Posted by jobin:
    Absolutely do not use western based credit cards in mainland china. Just way too easy to find yourself behind some huge hidden scam. Such a scam maybe not by the original vendor but some keystroke hacker unknown to the vendor. You may not know but the largest bill in china is only 100 rmb, which is US$16.00 so once the US money is converted to RMB, you will have a big bag of bills; highly conspicuous. Carry the US money, nice, neat and clean $100 bills, to china and convert there at the local Bank of China.
    I absolutely disagree with this.

No credit card fraud that I'm aware of ever ends up costing you money - the card issuer takes the hit; you just get a bit of hassle. But if you get mugged for cash (or scammed doing currency exchange) then you lose.

I would always use the banking / card system to the greatest extent possible.

Quote Originally Posted by GlobalExport:
    Will I even be able to leave Shenzhen and re-enter Hong Kong with with a suitcase containing 200-300 mobile phones?
    I doubt you can board a plane with that amount of phones. LiIon batteries are basically danger cargo in that quantity. And what you want with crappy China phones anyway? The quality phones are cheaper in HK then in CN.

And I doubt there is much usefull stuff to buy in SEG. It's cheaper to buy on Taobao and have send to HK. Free delivery is easy to bargain for with a larger order.

The amount of cash you can bring into China is RMB 20,000 or US$5000 (or that value in other currencies.)

I would try to bring a Mandarin speaker with you to get a better deal and pay them a translator/negotiator( of course do your research first)fee. Since everyone knows how much money you are carrying it is very likely that you may end up with no money and no phones. IDK but think minimum wage is like 4,000 a year in Shenzhen.

Try posting on another forum and feel people out asking for help buying a couple of phones NOT 300.

Just my gweilo .02

Credit cards : there no issues with using cc's in China. Anyone telling you otherwise is just scaremongering out of ignorance.

Trading with cash in China : There are many that do this but they have trusted sources that they have worked with before. Going to china with pockets full of money is not a normal/usual way of doing business.

INXS, MCDC, Gruntfuttock and 2 others like this.

Agree with Grunt and Howard, no issue with using credit cards in China. If you're spending that much then TT/Wire transfers would be more normal though. Would not recommend taking that amount in cash.

INXS likes this.

How are you going to get 300 cellphones in retail packaging across the border? I know some people in China are somehow able to ship lithium by air, maybe look into that and save the hassle, sea maybe safest though.

It sounds like a big adventure/learning experience for you, I hope that everything works out. Keep us posted.

GlobalExport likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnHK39:
    It sounds like a big adventure/learning experience for you, I hope that everything works out. Keep us posted.
    another way to put this: what you are suggesting is very unorthodox. I'd say it's a recipe for disaster.
    You are taking on a ton of risk for savings that most likely won't materialize and this whole thing will end up in tears.
    MCDC likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    another way to put this: what you are suggesting is very unorthodox. I'd say it's a recipe for disaster.
    You are taking on a ton of risk for savings that most likely won't materialize and this whole thing will end up in tears.
    Haha you think so? Why?

Taking into consideration everyone's input I've already decided it's best to just enter mainland China with no cash and find a supplier at SEG who will bring the needed goods to me in HK for COD. If there serious they'll come to HK with the goods and collect a hefty payday, if not their loss.

I don't anticipate carrying the goods back on commercial flight via a checked in bag or 2 will be an issue, but if it is, I can always send the goods via DHL.

I enjoy risk, and risk management..
    Last edited by GlobalExport; 23-03-2014 at 01:56 PM.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 ... LastLast