Like Tree87Likes

Visiting Hong Kong/Shenzhen

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by GlobalExport:
    I can always send the goods via DHL.
    But only sea freight. No carrier allows Li-ion batteries of unknown sources.

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof:
    But only sea freight. No carrier allows Li-ion batteries of unknown sources.
    Perhaps, but again I don't this will be an issue. I'm looking for branded phones that are packaged new. Not nonsense anonymous counterfeit phones that don't come in sealed packaging.

If I walk into a HK DHL with 200-300 phones in brand new un-opened packaging I don't think they'll deny me access to air mail.

If I pack these into 2 suitcases and check them in I don't think that would be an issue either, at least not according to the FAA's guidelines..

Haha you think so? Why?

Taking into consideration everyone's input I've already decided it's best to just enter mainland China with no cash and find a supplier at SEG who will bring the needed goods to me in HK for COD. If there serious they'll come to HK with the goods and collect a hefty payday, if not their loss.

I don't anticipate carrying the goods back on commercial flight via a checked in bag or 2 will be an issue, but if it is, I can always send the goods via DHL.

I enjoy risk, and risk management..
    No one will take the risk of bringing goods of that value through to HK on promise of COD. Companies are supposed to have export licenses so there could be problems leaving China but there would certainly be big issues taking items back into China should their HK COD customer not turn up. So good luck with that.

I'm looking for branded phones that are packaged new. Not nonsense anonymous counterfeit phones that don't come in sealed packaging.
    And that's where you will fall down. You will not get branded phones cheaper in China, do not make the mistake many before you already have. If you want branded then no need to leave HK. Branded is more expensive anywhere in China.

Quote Originally Posted by jaykay:
    No one will take the risk of bringing goods of that value through to HK on promise of COD. Companies are supposed to have export licenses so there could be problems leaving China but there would certainly be big issues taking items back into China should their HK COD customer not turn up. So good luck with that.
    You maybe right. Very valid points.

Giving them the address to my hotel and a mobile number should remedy any hesitance on their part. Hopefully some of the suppliers are fluent enough in English so we can communicate.

I would think that the suppliers I meet would know I mean business coming halfway across the world to do something that could probably done over the internet. Spending 30-45mins negotiating terms and price with them face to face should also help.

If Shenzhen suppliers are familiar with their own laws they'd also understand why I couldn't bring such a large amount of cash into mainland China in the first place.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
    Last edited by GlobalExport; 23-03-2014 at 02:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jaykay:
    And that's where you will fall down. You will not get branded phones cheaper in China, do not make the mistake many before you already have. If you want branded then no need to leave HK. Branded is more expensive anywhere in China.
    I'm looking for branded phones... Chinese Branded phones. They're extremely popular in the country where I opened up a small electronic shop. These phones are not intended for resale in the U.S.

I know if I wanted Samsung or Apple then HK is the place with all of the authorized sellers of 14 day returned phones, but I'm after Chinese brands. They will be cheaper to get in China than HK.

Your feedback and insight on the matter is greatly appreciated. Always good to hear of potential dangers/pitfalls.

If I walk into a HK DHL with 200-300 phones in brand new un-opened packaging I don't think they'll deny me access to air mail.
    http://www.dhl.com.hk/en/express/shi...batteries.html
    GlobalExport and HK_Katherine like this.

Thanks for the link, I'll be sure to contact my airline and/or DHL to make sure I'm in compliance with whatever regulations the IATA has in place.

There are reputable HK based sellers of 14 day return phones who offer door to door air mail delivery via DHL for bulk orders, I'm pretty sure I can tackle this transport issue legally.

Best to take your travel money and your play money and buy from a local distributor for your store.

You maybe right. Very valid points.

Giving them the address to my hotel and a mobile number should remedy any hesitance on their part. Hopefully some of the suppliers are fluent enough in English so we can communicate.

I would think that the suppliers I meet would know I mean business coming halfway across the world to do something that could probably done over the internet. Spending 30-45mins negotiating terms and price with them face to face should also help.

If Shenzhen suppliers are familiar with their own laws they'd also understand why I couldn't bring such a large amount of cash into mainland China in the first place.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
    For someone who hasn't been in Shenzhen, you assume an awful lot.
    If I were in your shoes, I would not take for granted that 'the suppliers are fluent enough in English', I'd rather make sure to have a translator I can trust with me.
    I join the choir of doubters here in telling you, that I do not think the supplier you intend to find is going to deliver the phones to you to a hotel in Hong Kong.
    INXS, Fiona in HKG, MCDC and 1 others like this.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast