Like Tree87Likes

Visiting Hong Kong/Shenzhen

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

If you don't like the answers you are getting here, why did you come here and bothered to ask?
    You were given good advice, but you seem to know everything already.
    And of course there are professionals buying cheap electronic goods in China for re-sale in their countries (mostly Asian and African) - those people are called traders!

Last edited by elle; 23-03-2014 at 04:50 PM.
    bookblogger likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by GlobalExport:
    "Professionals" LOL. I didn't know they were professionals who bought and sold electronic goods in China/HK and were experts in getting them to foreign countries.
    They are generally called importers and exporters. Some are multi billion dollar companies (ie: Li & Fung) and some are smaller ones dotted around the world.
    I don't know, this doesn't seem like rocket science to me.
    Fine - enjoy the ride then.

Quote Originally Posted by elle:
    If you don't like the answers you are getting here, why did you come here and bothered to ask?
    You were given good advice, but you seem to know everything already.
    And of course there are professionals buying cheap electronic goods in China for re-sale in their countries (mostly Asian and African) - those people are called traders!
    And how did these traders learn? How did they become professionals?

The mentality of opting to have someone do something for you instead of making the effort to learn how to do it yourself is stupid.

These African and Indian(Asian) traders you speak of learned on there on there own, I know that because I know some of them here in the U.S. My idea isn't original, I'm just lucky enough be well connected in a emerging market where these phones are in high demand like other African and Indian kids I go to school with.

I got all the answers I needed last night, the replys on the first 2-3 pages were enough for me to formulate a concrete mode of action. I unwisely continued to pick the brains of a few boneheads tonight. It was a waste of time, I'm going to regret it in the morning haha.

Everyone will tell you how to do it but they've never done it. Smh.
    Last edited by GlobalExport; 23-03-2014 at 05:07 PM.

I got all the answers I needed last night, the replys on the first 2-3 pages were enough for me to formulate a concrete mode of action. I unwisely continued to pick the brains of a few boneheads tonight. It was a waste of time, I'm going to regret it in the morning haha.

Everyone will tell you how to do it but they've never done it. Smh.
    vmlinuz likes this.

1) Practice
    2) Screwing up and then learn from their mistakes
    3) Go back to #1
    The mentality of opting to have someone do something for you instead of making the effort to learn how to do it yourself is stupid.
    The mentality that you will do as well as someone with years of experience, the very first time you attempt it is delusional.
    The mentality that you can learn everything from books/internet/videos/google and execute it correctly the first time you are out there is asinine.
    Doing both with real $$$, 25K worth of $$$, is plain old stupid.
    I got all the answers I needed last night, the replys on the first 2-3 pages were enough for me to formulate a concrete mode of action.
    Riiiiightt. Its so easy, anyone can do it in just a couple of days. All you need is motivation, $25K, 2 days of your time and you too can be a successful businessman and get the best prices the very first time you do this. Does this sound realistic to you?
    I unwisely continued to pick the brains of a few boneheads tonight. It was a waste of time, I'm going to regret it in the morning haha.
    Lets just hope the lessons you learn will not cost you too much, but you will learn them sooner or later.
    Then you can decide who is the boneheaded one and who is the numskull.
    bibbju and bookblogger like this.

Wrote a long reply and in typical Geo fashion it lost it and I cannot be arsed to rewrite! Some points -

Alibaba verification means nothing more than a vendor paying Alibaba annually for that status.

The vendor from Zhejiang claiming to accommodate COD in HK, complete scam. Full documentation required for Radio Transmitting Equipment both in China and HK customs and no way of getting it back across border if a no show customer. Chinese vendors can be stupid but they are never financially stupid when it comes to making money. No one will come to HK for a COD deal however much you want it.

The SEG building and in fact the whole Huaqianbei area is full of retailers, some are mom and pop enterprises but a lot are fronts for factories making their own phones of which there are 1000's in SZ alone. You can fill your boots there but you'll make better deals back at the factories proper, if they take you seriously. You will not however get popular China branded phones there at discounts so forget that. You will be told you can, people have been falling for this ruse for years and still people come.

I used to deal with phones/tablets/laptops from China a while back. I saw so many come and get burned and still see it. I have suppliers for other items now but still keep up with what's happening.

Last edited by jaykay; 23-03-2014 at 06:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jaykay:
    The vendor from Zhejiang claiming to accommodate COD in HK, complete scam.
    LOL, absolutely. They will tell you ANYTHING to start their scam.

The guy on the other end of the Skype conversation was probably some Indian/African staying in Chungking Mansion.

Quote Originally Posted by HowardCoombs:
    1) Practice
    2) Screwing up and then learn from their mistakes
    3) Go back to #1
    The mentality that you will do as well as someone with years of experience, the very first time you attempt it is delusional.
    The mentality that you can learn everything from books/internet/videos/google and execute it correctly the first time you are out there is asinine.
    Doing both with real $$$, 25K worth of $$$, is plain old stupid.
    Riiiiightt. Its so easy, anyone can do it in just a couple of days. All you need is motivation, $25K, 2 days of your time and you too can be a successful businessman and get the best prices the very first time you do this. Does this sound realistic to you?
    Lets just hope the lessons you learn will not cost you too much, but you will learn them sooner or later.
    Then you can decide who is the boneheaded one and who is the numskull.
    "The mentality that you will do as well as someone with years of experience, the very first time you attempt it is delusional."

Years of experience? Years of experience trading goods? If the task of finding out the different import/export regulations of a given country is too daunting to you then what does that say about your competency?

The more you bring this up the stupider you sound. There is no skill required in importing/exporting goods. Learn the laws and how to properly go about it, end of discussion.

Years of experience performing surgery, years of experience building and designing airplanes, years of experience organizing leveraged buyouts, years of experience throwing a football, shooting a basketball, these are all skills/skillful things that requires years training, practicing, learning, etc..., these are also all things that are best left to the professionals.

I REPEAT, buying goods in a foreign country and figuring out to export them legally is not a skill.

And why are you so certain that I've only been at this idea for 2 days? I already have a store front to sell these goods but I've only been at this for 2 days, that makes plenty of sense, I see how logical you are.

"The mentality that you can learn everything from books/internet/videos/google and execute it correctly the first time you are out there is asinine."

"Everything" I gave one analogy about using the internet to fix a car problem and now I'm the champion for googling how to do "everything".

"Doing both with real $$$, 25K worth of $$$, is plain old stupid."
    You're hell bent on bringing up the dollar amount every chance you get aren't you? I only gave the dollar amount because I needed to know if there was a limit for entering China on a tourist visa, I regret it now because of how obnoxious you are being.
    Last edited by GlobalExport; 23-03-2014 at 07:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jaykay:
    Wrote a long reply and in typical Geo fashion it lost it and I cannot be arsed to rewrite! Some points -

Alibaba verification means nothing more than a vendor paying Alibaba annually for that status.

The vendor from Zhejiang claiming to accommodate COD in HK, complete scam. Full documentation required for Radio Transmitting Equipment both in China and HK customs and no way of getting it back across border if a no show customer. Chinese vendors can be stupid but they are never financially stupid when it comes to making money. No one will come to HK for a COD deal however much you want it.

The SEG building and in fact the whole Huaqianbei area is full of retailers, some are mom and pop enterprises but a lot are fronts for factories making their own phones of which there are 1000's in SZ alone. You can fill your boots there but you'll make better deals back at the factories proper, if they take you seriously. You will not however get popular China branded phones there at discounts so forget that. You will be told you can, people have been falling for this ruse for years and still people come.

I used to deal with phones/tablets/laptops from China a while back. I saw so many come and get burned and still see it. I have suppliers for other items now but still keep up with what's happening.
    If I had any faith in Alibaba's verification I wouldn't be coming to the other side of the world to buy phones in person.

You have experience in this, where can I can get Zoppo, Oppo, THL, or Xiaomi phones then? Where is the best place?

I just ended another Skype video chat with a Shenzhen based seller who has THL phones, she said her boss will be willing to bring them to me HK. Why/how/where is the angle for the scam? If they don't show, they don't show. This isn't a rhetorical question, I would like your opinion on this.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast