Shipping FROM Hong Kong to USA

Closed Thread

Shipping FROM Hong Kong to USA

I've read all the threads on shipping, but most of them seem to concern coming TO Hong Kong from afar. Any recommendations on who to talk to when it is time to LEAVE Hong Kong? It's looking like I might be departing pretty soon and want to take about a 1 br worth of stuff (furniture, etc) back to the US.

i would think the same companies that are used for coming can be used for the reverse. we used crown both ways, to and from asia. however, one br worth of stuff is not a large shipment, think the big players (crown, kc dat, allied) might be too expensive. just venturing a guess. good luck--and be sure to negotiate, they always do!

Both the larger and smaller players will move furniture for you without a problem.

You can take a container or half a container back.

Warning!!!

Don't use these two HK movers: East Asia Movers and Eagle Logistics, which are run by the same people. They quoted me a low price, but eventually charged me a much higher price. I later found out that East Asia Movers have been blacklisted by Consumer Council.

I have used Santa Fe a few times for domestic moves within Hk and for overseas moves to the US. There is a guy called Sammy or a Woman called Fontaine who are very helpful. They are by far the cheapest and the most professional.

Crown is the most expensive and the sales people do not other following up on calls.

Relocating from HK back home

Hey there,

am actually in the same situation right now but will move back to Europe. I heard from a couple of people that the cheapest option is to just liaise with the cargo companies (not relocation) directly, then to rent a container and just drop off and pick up your stuff from the ports directly. It is a bit of a hassle but friends of mine did so and were all pretty happy with it, given that you only pay a 10th of the relocation costs. Will try to get some quotes from cargo companies shortly and will keep you posted if I find out anything new. It would be fantastic if you could do the same!

Red face

guys hi. I work for a logistics firm and if you need any help pm me and can put you to a right person in our office who handles US /Europe trade..

Cheers/prash

Personally, I woulnd't use a freight or cargo company for personal effects. If you really know what you're doing in terms of packing then it might be fine but basically, the difference between a removals company and a freight or cargo company is the fact that the removals company has people trained to pack personal effects for international shipping. Plus, as mentioned above, with a removals company, you don't have to go to the port or clear the shipment through customs yourself... basically less hassle.
    Yes, going with a freight company can be a lot cheaper and for some people that really is the best option (they don't have anything fragile, pack things well enough to protect from humidity, shock, etc... don't mind dealing with all the paperwork and customs themselves, and it can be fine).
    Alternatively, if you do go with a moving company, they will move anything for you; be it a 6 bedroom house or just enough stuff to fill even a quarter of a container or less.

Wink

I am also looking for shipping info. To ship from HK to Florence, Italy, just a few boxes. I have a one week window. Any ideas?!