Like Tree86Likes

GUILTY! (jay walking court summons )

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by braddles:
    The arrogance of the average expat is personified in this post.

Hey I've got a different solution. Don't have a goddamn helper you lazy f*ckwit! Would you have one in London? No. So why feel the need to have someone clean up after you here. Oh coz they're cheap labour, that's right. Iron your own shirts, take your own empties out.

Vile.

And as for 'Take it off her salary'. Unbelievable.
    Have you read the other thread about how this particular helper is dropping his kids, feeding them the wrong stuff and how he's firing her for being incompetent? If not, go and read it. Then you'll have some context for the comment. (Which you could have got from the other posts anyway if you 'd bothered to read them).

Sometimes being a good employer involves teaching staff that their actions have consequences and they have to manage them.
    Last edited by HK_Katherine; 02-04-2014 at 01:06 PM.

You know what?

I treat others how I'd like to be treated.
    Wish more people thought that way.

Nobody likes to be micro managed and sadly that's the way it is with the management style out here.

scrambler likes this.

mate some one who makes stirfry with out vegetables in it - needs to have an eye on her n'est pas?

personally I find its better to teach em to fish than fish for em... but during the process of learning a lot of feedback an monitoring is required,,

bak on topic - she did call em durin her lucnh break an no she dont have to go,,

an the whole point of this thread was to find out if they did respnd on recipet of letter they dont,,

I was trying to save her some time during my 5 min breaks from workin every hour or so,,,

( it might also have been a bit of I dont trust her too )

Quote Originally Posted by dumbdonkey:
    coz it bloody holds up traffic
    I always think it is the private cars that are holding up pedestrians.

Quote Originally Posted by drumbrake:
    I always think it is the private cars that are holding up pedestrians.
    The worst menace on the roads (apart from motorcyclists) has to be those guys and girls who push little metal carts around with impunity, seemingly uncaring if they get run over or indeed if they swipe pedestrians shins.

iliketurtles and Gruntfuttock like this.

I'd hardly call them a menace- as a pedestrian you can see them coming a mile off and local traffic seems well adapted to them. It strikes me as one of the few surprisingly pleasant aspects of HK traffic in that private car owners yield to them and don't honk like crazy.

These cart people are near the bottom of the social heap here, but at least drivers don't treat them like dirt.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl:
    I'd hardly call them a menace- as a pedestrian you can see them coming a mile off
    Unless you can see round corners and through dense crowds that it clearly not true. On a wide open street with no pedestrians I don't dispute you can see them - unfortunately that doesn't sound like Hong Kong!

and local traffic seems well adapted to them
    Maybe it depends on where you drive. Certainly in and around Central they are a law onto themselves... along with idling Alphards clogging up the sidestreets.

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal
    I'd hardly call them a menace- as a pedestrian you can see them coming a mile off and local traffic seems well adapted to them. It strikes me as one of the few surprisingly pleasant aspects of HK traffic in that private car owners yield to them and don't honk like crazy.

These cart people are near the bottom of the social heap here, but at least drivers don't treat them like dirt.
    Or they care more about their paint job.
    Fiona in HKG and TheBrit like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    Unless you can see round corners and through dense crowds that it clearly not true. On a wide open street with no pedestrians I don't dispute you can see them - unfortunately that doesn't sound like Hong Kong!
    I honestly have no idea why you think they're a problem. I've never been hit by one and of all the other things happening walking around the streets (terrible drivers, randomly drifting pedestrians, leaflet people and eye-gouging umbrellas) would consider the trolley people to be at the most benign end of encounters. They move slowly and predictably because otherwise they'd hit people and get yelled at. In crowds (around Central at least) they tend to also yell out warnings and they're pretty polite about it.

Anyway, this is a pleasant sidetrack from the original topic.
    Last edited by jgl; 02-04-2014 at 03:15 PM.
    bookblogger likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by iliketurtles:
    I'd be interested to know why jaywalking is a crime here. It isn't in the UK, right? (I'm having deja vu on this now - did I ask this question before?)
    HK ain't the UK, sweetheart .

One thing still bothers me though. Hardly anyone ever gets caught for jaywalking in HK (well...maybe not, there are still folks who get busted, but the frequency is not that high) So unless she is crossing at busy intersections where pedestrians normally would not contemplate crossing, how did the maid got herself caught for jaywalking?

The only reason I can think of is that she was not paying attention to the traffic and didn't realize there is a police nearby when she crossed on the red light (or maybe no lights at all in the middle of the road)?

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast