Like Tree3Likes

Need to ship laptop from HK to USA

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Need to ship laptop from HK to USA

I need something reliable to ship my laptop from HK to USA (california). I prefer to go somewhere more upscale than the hk post office.

Any places in CENTRAL??

You can't ship laptops through HK Post anyway. the new rules on batteries makes it problematic. Try DHL in Admiralty MTR, but last time I was there they turned someone away saying no electronics.

Suspect just usual HK failure to compute, because my daughter shipped an ipad to me from Australia through DHL a month ago. But it was majorly expensive and required special packaging.

May ay to ring the likes of DHL and Fedex and see what their rules are.

The problem is the battery - they can't be shipped on a plane. If you can take the battery out then you should be able to send it and buy a new one at the other end. Not cheap, but cheaper than flying there with your laptop in your hand luggage.

If you've got a MacBook.....you're screwed.

Get an MSDS document. Most laptop suppliers will supply them (I said most, not all). Some even have a dedicated website for you to obtain one.

All courier service will turn laptop with lithium batteries away without an MSDS document.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using GeoClicks mobile app

shri likes this.

sending battery via air is prohibited, but sending via sea/ground is ok, takes 3-4 months,

in the meantime, nearly all laptops with removeable battery runs will run with the battery taken out if you have the power supply ( also remember possible, but unlikely 240v power supply incompatible with us 120v, thus, need a step up transformer)

Original Post Deleted
    if this is only a 240v, you will need a step up transformer to use in the us

OK. i was able to ship a computer from here to california. No problem. I asked them about the new rule and battery thing, and they said if it's just for peronsal use, a computer or two, then it's fine.

Call FedEx ...

Here are their guidelines:

Shipping Lithium Batteries from Hong Kong

To comply with the latest Dangerous Goods Advisory Circular (DGAC 2/2010) issued by The Hong Kong Civil Aviation Department, with immediate effect, shipments containing lithium batteries to selected destinations in Germany, France, England, the Middle East and New Zealand may require one additional day in transit.

Lithium batteries are commonly used in devices such as mobile phones, laptops, PDAs, watches, cameras and children’s toys. All lithium batteries are regulated as dangerous goods since charged battery shipments may overheat and ignite under certain conditions.

Examples of common equipment and devices containing lithium batteries include, but are not limited to:
    Laptops;
    Mobile phones and PDAs;
    GPS tracking devices;
    MP3 players and iPods;
    Watches and clocks;
    Cameras;
    Toys;
    Power screwdrivers; and,
    Small, wireless appliances.

When sending shipments that contain lithium batteries, shippers are required to label their packages correctly and clearly declare shipments contain lithium batteries. Please see [information guide] to review tips on how to pack battery shipments.

For more information about the transit time of your shipment, please contact our Customer Service team.
    http://www.fedex.com/hk_english/abou...HK_4Jun10.html

SHRI, thanks for the info. but no calling needed my friend. Someone said i can't ship it, but DHL in central MTR was able to ship it no problem....

Excellent.

All three major courier - FedEx, DHL and UPS will accept laptops / electronic gear with batteries. Unfortunately fair bit of disinformation out there.

Have imported phones and a bunch of other gear for personal use, from the US and shipments have been promptly delivered by all three.

Pete.5354 likes this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast