Can I take the plane with expired passport?

Closed Thread

Can I take the plane with expired passport?

Hi, I'm a HK citizen studying in US. I need to go back HK this month due to family issue. However, I've just realized that my passport (BNO) has expired and it's too late to renew it since it takes a month for processing. Can someone tell me if I can use other photo ID(ie. HKID) to check in at the airport? Thanks!

Even if you get an answer from this forum will you trust it for such a delicate issue? I would suggest you better contact directly the authorities for an answer.. You wouldn't like to end up in Gitmo, would you?

The airline will check your passport, if its expired you won't be able to get on the plane.

Rani

Almost certainly not. But if you talk nicely to the British Consulate they should be able to expedite the passport renewal for you - in HK the standard time is 5 working days.

Yes, your best bet is going to be to contact the British Consulate. They can advise you what to do. (Some governments, in your situation, will issue you a "travel letter" that is good only for direct return to the country of origin. But given the unique status of BNO passports, I'm not sure if that is possible.) Since you do have a valid HKID card, it may be possible to do something similar, or to expedite issuance of a passport.

Leaving the US, there is no need for a passport (unless they have changed the rules). Boarding a plane - checking for a valid passport is for onward destination - in this case, you have a HKID so technically, no passport is needed. I have been asked before boarding a plane for HK, whether I had a HKID. So, maybe, you can convince the airline (easier if a HK one that understands the entry rules). A related point about valid passport, what happens if someone has to be deported back to home country and he/she has no valid passport?

Airlines are required to return a passenger to their point of origin (and pay a fine I think) if they arrive in a country without proper documentation, such as a passport or a visa or whatever entry permit is needed. While it is correct that no government officials in the US will check for a passport when you leave (like they do in Hong Kong) you will have to convince the airline, which can be a tough sell in a post 9-11 USA.

The advice given was correct about expedited services--most embassy's and consulates offer something like that, sometimes with same day service. I'd definitely check with them and see what can be done

NAH, if you have HK ID card with 3 stars (***) and you will not need BNO upon entering HK. Just an ID card will do.
    If airline says nothing then you could leave with expired passport. However, you may face trouble on your return flight unless you got your new passport, which may not be dued in weeks.

indeed, it should be possible to enter HK. you can check at your airlines homepage. they have got these sofphisticated computer systems where they can check the documents needed to enter a particular place. like hong kong. the KLM has a site where you can check your documents. in your case:
    as you can see. even Macao residents can visit HK with their ID cards with forms. if they depart from the US.
    it has got a This:
    "search engine and database is provided and managed by the International Air Transport Association (IATA). You may double-check foreign entry requirements upon departure."

I used : www.klm.com- KLM services-Visa & Health- and then just fill in the information the site wants.

/ 16MAR05 / 1637 UTC
    National CHINA (PEOPLE'S REP.) (CN)
    Embarkation U.S.A. (US)
    Destination HONG KONG (SAR CHINA) (HK)
    Visited U.S.A. (US)

HONG KONG (SAR CHINA) (HK)

Passport required (must be valid at least 1 month after period
    of intended stay).

Visa not required:
    1. if holding Hong Kong (SAR China) passport or Hong Kong
    (SAR China) Certificate of Identity (green passport type
    certificate); or
    2. if holding Document of Identity for visa purposes issued
    by Hong Kong Immigration bearing following endorsement: the
    holder of this document may return to Hong Kong during its
    validity without a visa"; or
    3. for a stay of max. 7 days provided travelling to a third
    destination. Visitor must hold:
    - confirmed return/onward ticket if the onward destination
    is not China (People's Rep.) or Macao. If the onward
    destination is China or Macao only proof of sufficient
    funds to purchase air/rail/ferry ticket is required; and
    - all documents required for next destination; and
    - sufficient funds; or
    4. if holding travel documents bearing following Hong Kong
    Immigration department endorsement (usually to be found on
    last page of passport): "holder's eligibility for Hong Kong
    Permanent Identity Card verified ; or
    5. for a stay of max. 7 days if holding valid Macao Identity
    Card together with:
    - Macao (SAR China) passport; or
    - Macao (SAR China) travel permit; or
    - Portugese Alien Passport ("Pasaporte para Estrangeiros").
    6. for a stay of max. 14 days if holding:
    - "Visit Permit for Residents of Macao SAR to Hong Kong SAR"
    (VPRM); or
    - Declaration Form for holders of Macao SAR Permanent
    Resident Identity Card to Hong Kong SAR provided
    presented together with a Macao Smart Permanent Identity
    Card.

HONG KONG (SAR CHINA) (HK)

Vaccinations not required.

Timaticweb Version 1.3
    16 March 2005

Last edited by Pirveebilbao; 17-03-2005 at 12:47 AM.