Like Tree8Likes

Landlord Issues

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

UPDATED VERSION - saga continues

So Ya Guys,
    Once i got it thru to the landlord that i wasn't the reason of her claims & now the landlord has found a new point. Saying you have Breached the Contract...... and now she wants us to
    - repair the entire house flooring
    - redo the whole toilet
    - painting the whole house

The total bill is crazy..........

- i explained to the landlord, lots of people when they move in - they make minor altercations, i didn't do any structural change to your apartment....... i am willing to fix the shower stand back to its original position...... or better i can pay you the amount for this..... but the landlord is gone nuts and wants me to foot the whole renovation bill.....

- In the contract there is a clause stating the landlord has the right to withheld the deposit or adjust breach amount, etc da da da da.......

- do i need to get a lawyer and take the landlord to court?

Any Sane advise is welcome.........

Quote Originally Posted by ddiinnoo:
    do i need to get a lawyer and take the landlord to court?
    How much is the deposit?
    This may be a better option for you : http://www.judiciary.gov.hk/en/crt_s...lt/html/sc.htm

But clearly, you'll need to take this higher.

the claim is below 50k so will have to go with small claims but the issues is the landlord is not from hk and they never give a forwarding address only communication with them is via email and no contact numbers either.

check with the agent that you used to rent the place, maybe they have some sort of contact details, what about ID numbers in the contract etc etc

Restore the flat, fixing the shower or whatever you modified, then in writing by registered post, give the landlord 7 days to refund full deposit or go to court. (It does not cost very much to search the land registry to identify the legal registered owner, and address.)

Yes on the inside of the contract have their ID Numbers but dont have their mailing address.. unless i use the flat that i stayed in as a delivery of notice.

Their Passport & ID Card numbers i have

So Ya Guys,
    Once i got it thru to the landlord that i wasn't the reason of her claims & now the landlord has found a new point. Saying you have Breached the Contract...... and now she wants us to
    - repair the entire house flooring
    - redo the whole toilet
    - painting the whole house

The total bill is crazy..........

- i explained to the landlord, lots of people when they move in - they make minor altercations, i didn't do any structural change to your apartment....... i am willing to fix the shower stand back to its original position...... or better i can pay you the amount for this..... but the landlord is gone nuts and wants me to foot the whole renovation bill.....

- In the contract there is a clause stating the landlord has the right to withheld the deposit or adjust breach amount, etc da da da da.......

- do i need to get a lawyer and take the landlord to court?

Any Sane advise is welcome.........
    You MOVED THE SHOWER?

If yes, and your landlord is asking for the flat to be put back into the same condition it was when you moved in, then THAT is perfectly within their rights.....

If I misunderstood the post above, ignore me. But you mention moving the shower stand back to where it was....

Hi Katherine
    The landlord doesnt want the shower stall back in the place. The landlord wants me to renovate the whole flat now ......

Sarcasm - because beating the crap out of people is illegal

Point out the 'fair wear and tear' clause in the contract.

Hi Katherine
    The landlord doesnt want the shower stall back in the place. The landlord wants me to renovate the whole flat now ......
    They can't ask for that. They CAN ask for the flat back in the same condition it was handed over in. Do that and they don't have a leg to stand on. I think your problem is that if you have made changes, you might struggle if you try and take them to court/small claims tribunal because they will legitimately be able to say there are changes......