Move to HK for a year - advice sought

Closed Thread

Move to HK for a year - advice sought

Im a new member round here so I am still reading through all the past posts. But perhaps I could get some advice on how I should approach my situation...

My girl friend is going to HK for a year starting this August to do a year in industry as part of her university course here in the UK. She has got an offer for a job and will be moving out there in late July/early August.

Obviously, I want to go with her. The chance to live in HK for a year is fantastic. I have only been there once before and loved it. I know a couple of people out there already so they are providing useful for arranging the move.

Since I would not be going until late July, I am pondering what to do in terms of finding a job there. I am not a student, but currently working full time in the IT sector. Is it too early to start looking for jobs? Most advertisements are looking for immediate availability. Should I just send my CV and cover letter to as many companies as possible?

This brings up my other question. When I am contacting these companies should I be stating that in fact I will only be in HK for one year? My girl friend will be returning to the UK to finish her final year. Is it better to tell them of this one year fact or omit it?

Obviously I will also need a visa and paper work provided by a prospective employer.

Put yourself in an employers shoes and you'll find the answers.

Sorry, I'm in a bit of a 'Yoda' mood today.

I think I may omit that 1 year fact then

Would you consider start earlier in HK than your girlfriend? So that you could help her arrange something before she come. You could start looking at contract jobs for 1-1.5 years, then you don’t need to omit any facts. Or can you get another IT contract/project base job in UK that needs you go overseas (to HK of course).