Like Tree9Likes

Native English Teacher Pay Rate

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Claire ex-ax:
    The 120-hr TESOL/TEFL (the one with classroom practice) should be recognised just fine. It's the online version that's not readily accepted.

Can others confirm?
    That's correct to my knowledge. Some centres will accept an online only TEFL but not the ones you want to be working for (usually). Having said that, doing a 4 week CELTA course would be even better as it's more highly regarded.

What are the rates for non native English speaking teachers? Eg european person with Italian accent and no formal teaching qualification bur only 1 year private tutoring experience?

Quote Originally Posted by WMDS:
    What are the rates for non native English speaking teachers? Eg european person with Italian accent and no formal teaching qualification bur only 1 year private tutoring experience?
    For private tutoring it's more about your reputation and how well you present yourself to clients. Assuming your English is fluent you should be able to command $300 / Hr but it will be a harder sell.

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks

As far as I know, you can't do a Diploma (DELTA) programme until you've done a Certificate (CELTA) course AND obtained some teaching experience (2 years, I think?). So forget about the Delta/diploma course for now, and just get the certificate first.
    I would recommend you get a certificate qualification recognized by the British Council (so, the CELTA or the CertTESOL): Teachers Qualifications Guidance - British Council - Accreditation (wait, in reading their website briefly, it seems they don't accredit a program, but accredit centres? well, you get the picture...)
    When you get a CELTA or CertTESOL, which will involve an intensive 4-week in-house training program, your qualification will be recognized internationally, including in HK. It doesn't matter in which country you do it, just that the organization provides this official certification. If you're in Australia now and have the time, then it's probably easier and maybe even cheaper to just do it there and get it out of the way and have it in hand for when you come to HK. If you can't get it in time before coming to HK, then you can complete the teaching training for the CertTESOL at English for Asia in Hong Kong.
    Information about the CELTA is here: CELTA (Certificate in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) | Cambridge English
    Information about the CertTESOL is here: Trinity College London | Home

I got the CertTESOL in London, because that is just what the language center near me offered. And it was good having it (along with my previous teaching experience) coming to HK.

Depends on what route you are planning on going down. If you choose the language centres / schools then I advise getting the best certificate that you can afford and have time to do.

If you are planning on doing private tuition then it doesn't really matter as long as you have A teaching certificate. I've been teaching for over 8 years and I can count on my hand the number of times a client has asked about my certification. Most don't even know the difference between a TEFL / CELTA / CertTESOL etc. What matters to them is whether you know the ins and outs of the local curriculum, your familiarity with the particular difficulties locals have with learning English, your familiarity with popular programs such as the Cambridge YLE, your ability to deliver a lesson plan effectively and get results / show improvement in your students.

WMDS likes this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3