What jobs can I obtain?

Closed Thread

What jobs can I obtain?

Hey everyone,

I'm considering working in hong Kong for a few years and see how it goes. Unfortunately I don't read or write Chinese. I grew up in the U.S. so English is my native language. I can speak Cantonese. I just graduated from college this summer with a degree that I probably won't be putting to use. I'm curious of what jobs that I may qualify for. Thank you in advance!

I think you have to give a bit more information for us to be able to respond with some useful advice!

What degree do you have?
    What industry / field are you interested in?
    What experience do you have?
    Do you have the right to live and work in HK?
    Do you have family here who can support you or who you can stay with?

Depending on the industry, your lack of Mandarin and the ability to read and write Chinese might affect you. Don't forget, there are many overseas Chinese with fluent English / Cantonese / Mandarin and these are going to be the some of the ones you are competing against for work.

Also importantly, fresh graduate salaries are usually very low compared with many western countries. Without family support or accommodation you might struggle, especially if you are used to a 'western' lifestyle.

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks

First of thanks for responding and you're right, I should give more information.

I have a B.S. in security systems.
    I'm not looking for any specific field to go into.
    I've worked with kids for about a year and a half.I was a field coordinator (I think that was the position, I'd have to go look at my resume which I don't have access to atm)for a politician's campaign. Back in high school, I volunteered at a hospital and a local non profit organization which was mostly admin work.
    I have HK citizenship and I do have family here but I don't want to bother them. Places in HK are small as it is, don't want to be a burden.

My parents are pretty Asian. I don't think I've been living a western lifestyle while I was over there. I'm assuming western lifestyle is spending a lot of money.

Last edited by travel7cont; 24-08-2014 at 09:45 AM.

You can teach English, until you find the right job.

I can't comment on the political path, but if you want to try English teaching you would benefit from getting at least a TEFL, and preferably a CELTA or equivalent.

Salaries at learning centers vary from 15 - 25K / month (depending on a number of factors, teaching hours, your qualifications and experience etc etc). You could top this up with private tutoring on the side.

That would probably do you for a while until you gain some more experience.

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks

AVSECO aviation security company at Hong Kong airport : well run and professional company . Not a bunch of louts like the Australian equivalent I am used to dealing with . Airport companies always looking for staff and not all position need written Chinese

Thank you all for responding. I knew about teaching English, I was considering that since I have some experience working with kids. Are there websites specifically for job positions in teaching English in HK?

Avesco, I will check that out. I've always been fond of airports.

Most of the main job websites will have sections where you can specifically search for teaching posts. Check out Jobsdb, classified post, Career Jet etc etc.

Alright, thank you. I wasn't sure what the main job websites are for here. I will look at those.

Hi Everyone,

Could you advice me on a good path to follow. I am currently a student studying and was wondering how soon should I start looking for work? When does summer internship start in Hong Kong? What is the language preference English or Cantonese?