Average incomes in HK

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by gilleshk:
    I've often thought of living in the NT but frankly, it just doesn't make sense to me. Logic isn't only about money paid for rent... It also means matching tour place to live with your lifestyle.

I ride my bike or run to work every day, that wouldn't be possible if I lived in the NT, also would be very inconvenient to go to the sports club. The money I would save for rent would start being offset by money paid for transportation not to mention the time wasted and the immense frustration I would feel being on the MTR, buses, taxis or traffic If I bought a car.

Happiness isn't necessarily about saving money from your rent... To say that it's money burnt, well... whatever you do is money burnt...(smoking, drinking, transportation) Whether one considers it worht it or not is an individual preference and has little to do with logic.

I agree with that whole post but when I apply it to me the NT jumps out as the right solution. I too want to be close to my fitness facilities (Gold Coast country club is about 200m from where I live and there is a California in Tuen Mun, a 10 min bus ride away); I love the fact that I am not surrounded by high rises and can see green space, beaches, trees etc - it's peaceful and serene and makes for great weekends. It also helps that I work from home at least one day a week and commute to the airport usually once a week too (which is really convenient from GC, closer than Island). The fact that I save a fortune in rent is an added bonus.

All of which really just shows that we take our own preferences and apply them to the accomodation options available and find one that suits!

The people who frustrate me are the ones who live in Mid-Levels just because they were told "that's where expats live" and never lift their heads up and evaluate other options. I know a couple of folks like that, including those who, when I describe my lifestyle say "oh - that sounds great - I never even realised XXX existed".

Quote Originally Posted by bedinhkg:
    It's not only about how much time it takes to go to work but the neighbourhood, who you rub shoulders with. Most who live in Kowloon and the NT would live on HK Island if given the chance.
    Are you fresh off the boat (airplane)? Has the stamp even dried in your passport yet?
    Last edited by Alby; 16-10-2008 at 12:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alby:
    Are you fresh off the boat (airplane)? Has the stamp even dried in your passport yet?
    Nicely put.

I would agree with an earlier poster - HK island does not mean you have to pay HK$ 30,000 plus per month. You can get reasonable flats for less than HK$ 10,000 per month along the Island MTR line (not literally of course, but in places like Sai Wan Ho, Chai Wan, etc.) I work in Heng Fa Chuen anyway so its a 10 min walk or a 2 minute bus for me. Not all expats work in Central!

was wondering what everyone's income and occupation are (along with living location) for those that don't mind dishing out the info!

For me:
    $18,000
    IT

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4