Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By drumbrake

IELTS certification

Red face IELTS certification

hi all

i am wondering if i need that IELTS qualification to teach english in hong kong? i notice a lot of ads on SCMP but all require that quali.

Is it an easy test or do I need to prepare at all? Thanks!

Panda

what was your score

I am wondering the same too. I have the IELTS Certificate but unsure about IELTS as teaching qualification. I thought most require qualifications like TEFL/TESOL/CELTA etc..and they are about 21k to get the 120hour certs.
    I have an average band of 7.5 btw for the IELTS exam.

First, congrats on reviving an 11 year old thread!

Second, rarely have I seen advertisements for general teaching positions specifically mention anything to do with IELTs (unless you are going for an IELTS examiner position of course). What is commonly mentioned is the requirement for native English fluency. If you are a non-native English speaker then you may have to provide your IELTS results as proof of fluency.

IELTS

Hey there

IELTS can be registered online via British council, to convince everyone you have The credentials to teach and the knowledge convey, you need to have some evidence. If you score 8.5 or 9 in all components you are a perfect speaker of English

Quote Originally Posted by pandaschatzi:
    hi all

i am wondering if i need that IELTS qualification to teach english in hong kong? i notice a lot of ads on SCMP but all require that quali.

Is it an easy test or do I need to prepare at all? Thanks!

Panda

IELTS Level 8.5 / 9 just means you have native or near native proficiency in English. It doesn't have anything to do with the ability to teach.

jmbf and Fiona in HKG like this.

IELTS

Quote Originally Posted by Zen03:
    I am wondering the same too. I have the IELTS Certificate but unsure about IELTS as teaching qualification. I thought most require qualifications like TEFL/TESOL/CELTA etc..and they are about 21k to get the 120hour certs.
    I have an average band of 7.5 btw for the IELTS exam.

7.5 is not good enough to be a tutor you need at least 8 in all components