Relocating from US...what to bring?

Talking Relocating from US...what to bring?

Hi, I will be relocating from the US to HK mid-April and will be shipping most of my furniture, etc.... and need some advice on what electronics or electrical applicances I should bring/not bring.

1. Will most US electrical appliances still work out there with transformers and plug adaptors? (i.e. hairdryer, rice cooker, toaster oven, fan, halogen lamps, laptop, computer, cd player etc...)

2. From what I understand US TVs will be useless there right? What about DVD players or VCRs? What about a Receiver, would it work in HK?

3. Is it generally cheaper to buy transformers in HK than getting them here before I go??

Appreciate any advice! I just don't want to move everything and then find out half my things won't even work!

If your company is paying for the shipping, and you have accommodation large enough to house your stuff and plan to kep the environment controlled (i.e. temp & humidity) then bringing it all may make sense. Otherwise, you may find insufficient room, cracking wood, and curling and moulding art work. I maintain the env. control and brought some artwork. I did not both ith furnishings, but will bring back some peices eventually (taking care to pick woods that will survive the reverse env. challenge). Good luck!

DVD players are usually region encoded to different parts of the world. The US is region 1, Hong Kong 3 and China 6. Unless you have a region free dvd player, or have hacked yours to region free, you can only play DVDs from your region. VCRs are usually PAL or NTSC so you are out of luck there as well.

Laptops usually run off of a power supply that does 110/220. Just get a plug adapter ($8 HK nearly anywhere). Desktops often have a switch that goes 110/220. Just look at the manual.

How long are you here and how big is your new place? Might be easier to grab some of those items at an expat sale rather than bring and use transformers.

Thanx for the advice! Any idea on the stereo receiver? I guess if there's no PAL/NTSC compatibility issue, its the same as any other electrical item.

I'm relocating for the long term, as I'm permanently transferring as a local. no expat package :-( No clue on the place yet, will need to look once I'm out there. Company is paying to ship my belongings, so figure I may as well bring what I can... Worry about selling things once I get there if I have problems fitting everything into my new flat.

If this is a permanent transfer, my advice would be a yard sale in which you get rid of things like the hair dryer, rice cooker, small things, etc and consider replacing them with items over here (since you be using them for a long time here). Those little items tend to break more frequently than some larger things and it might be nice to "start fresh" once you land here.

It's actually kind of difficult to "sell" furniture once you are here, as the cost to have it moved is usually more than you would get in the sale. There is certainly a glut of used furniture here from the expats leaving and whatnot.

Your receiver should work here, with a transformer. I'm not really sure on the availablity of stereo gear here--haven't really looked into it that closely.

Also, and I'm not sure on this--do HK lamps use the same bulbs as US ones? Might be tricky to replace if the old one goes bad.

If you're relocating on a long term basis .. do what penguin6 has suggested. Get rid if all your electrical appliances etc. They'll have no resale value here and you'll probably be able to uprgade for cheaper.

Furniture can get very tricky to sell.. most US sized furniture is too large for smaller HK apartments and people who have larger flats are not likely to be looking at second hand furniture shipped in from the US.

If at all you ship stuff over, matteresses, coffee tables, speakers (no electrical issues), battery powered gadgets like notebooks, ipods etc and other smaller items might be worth it.

Hmmm...so does anyone know if those vertical floor-standing halogen lamps would work in HK? They use the thin & long 300 watt halogen bulbs... Are those not used in HK? What if I brought xtra bulbs over (just in case I can't find replacements there), would that work?

Thanks!