kids backyard? is a rural life possible?

Closed Thread

kids backyard? is a rural life possible?

hello,
    we are a family re-locating to HK from australia
    would still like to provide our children with a backyard to play in i.e. as "normal life"(cubby house, bikes etc..) as possible growing up in hong kong without being too far away from civilisation. Given a large percentage of HK is great for outdoor persuits hopefully we can have our rural life and still enjoy the excitement of this fantastic place
    1. is this remotely possible?
    2. i have to work at airport if it helps with geography
    3. can u recommend schools?
    our e-mail is [email protected]

Thankyou all in anticipation of your reply

I would say its very unlikely Simon. Most places near the airport and in fact anywhere, are appartment style. The only places i think would have backyards would be right over the other side of HK island, like Stanley...but even then i wouldn't think there would be many. Sorry.

You may wish to consider Discovery Bay if you are going to be working at the airport - many airlines and airport people live here. If your budget does not support a place with a private yard, you might find a place with access to a "public yard" as DB is family-friendly with lots of open space, playgrounds and no private traffic - something like a flat overlooking a podium or a playground (on a lower floor) to watch over kids from your window/balcony. A rural life is possible here, as it is next to the sea and hills, with footpaths connecting to other bays and villages on Lantau Island. http://www.discoverybay.com.hk/main/home_eng/home.html

Last edited by sabi; 26-03-2005 at 08:59 AM.

There are some village houses available near the Airport. We used to have friends that rented them several years ago. Would recommend using gohome.com.hk or centanet.com to search for them.

Yes, there are houses around Tung Chung but the air quality there is quite poor although seemingly rural, pollution seems to collect there. TC, while having convenient access to MTR, is a bit too built-up for someone wanting rural. Also, consider Park Island which is next to Tsing Yi, very close to the Airport. Park Island is sort of patterned on the Discovery Bay concept of a planned community, resort-style. I just saw on Geobaby forum that some others have been plugging for DB and S. Lantau.

Last edited by sabi; 26-03-2005 at 09:18 AM.

I'm living in Tung Chung and yeah the air quality is bad sometimes but HK Island is worse. You should try looking at places around Mui Wo on Lantau. Loads of expat families live around there. Discovery Bay,I suppose it would be good if you like that kind of resort environment. But to me it's too much like the Truman show/Stepford wives - with the golf carts etc It's too manufactured.

There are two schools on Lantau you could look at: Discovery Bay International school or the YMCA Christian College in Tung Chung which is English Medium.

Quote Originally Posted by Geordie19:
    I'm living in Tung Chung and yeah the air quality is bad sometimes but HK Island is worse.
    The published statistics say that there is not much difference between Tung Chung and Central on average, but that other places on HK Island are slightly better from an API point of view.

http://www.epd-asg.gov.hk/english/apisum/apisum.php