Like Tree7Likes

Bank Account in Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Proof of address is not same with proof of HK address

I know its a bit old-style,but...ask your company to pay you by cheque? Then you cash it wherever you have an account already (being it US, or else).

Quote Originally Posted by mobtrio:
    Proof of address is not same with proof of HK address
    I've opened accounts with proof of UK address before in hk

Yes, that is what I try to say. HK bank request proof of address not proof of HK address. So we can use proof of 'foreign' address and the service apartment arrangement will not becoming an issue anymore.

alexdown likes this.

Denied bank account - you're not alone

Quote Originally Posted by alakkawi:
    I just came to Hong Kong on one year working visa, my company was asking to open a bank account to put my monthly salary in...
    I went to several banks: HSBC, Hang Seng, CitiBank and others....
    I have the following documents:
    - work visa and contract.
    - temporary ID card
    - passport
    but i do not have proof of address as my company is renting a service apartment for me for a month before I find my own apartment..
    All banks they said" We are sorry we can not open the account for business reasons"
    I have a doubt it is because of my citizenship" SYRIAN PASSPORT "
    but in this case, it is considered as discrimination based on nationality, and I am legally working in Hong Kong, what to do in this case?
    I may proceed to a lawyer
    Some of the replies you're getting suggest an unfamiliarity with the REAL HK.

With a Syrian passport, you're getting it first hand.

Check out this SCMP article. The experiences mentioned should ring a bell.

HK banks refuse accounts to poor and ethnic minorities | South China Morning Post

And, the lawyer?

Personally, I'd go for it.

They'll probably just need to send a letter and then the bank will call it a "misunderstanding".

Good luck.

Welcome to Hong Kong...

alakkawi

Well I have the following from my country:
    - Police certificate record translated to English stating my address in Syria.
    - Civil registration certificate translated to English
    - Driver license ( they did not approve it )

For H.K:
    do they accept internet bill? Mobile bill? if yes then things will be easy

alakkawi

I was living in USA, I have bank statement from my bank there stating my address on it, cheques on my name and address, credit card mail send to my address and international driving license stating my address on it which are all in USA...

I have similar experience 4 months ago when I just move to HK. HSBC and SCB will only allow me to open an account if I have proof of permanent address.
    My advice, go to Citibank at Two Exchange Square, their service is really good, using the same documents that I gave to HSBC they able to open my account within 30 minutes. They can be more flexible because they have enough experience with people who just move to HK and need to open bank account.
    Ask a letter from your company stating your address on your home country and your temporary address at the service apartment, that's the only additional document they requested.
    Good luck, opening bank account here can be very painful experience, at least that's what I feel.
    hope this help

Quote Originally Posted by alakkawi:
    Well I have the following from my country:
    - Police certificate record translated to English stating my address in Syria.
    - Civil registration certificate translated to English
    - Driver license ( they did not approve it )

For H.K:
    do they accept internet bill? Mobile bill? if yes then things will be easy
    internet/mobile bill (with your name) should be accepted

alakkawi
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Just because you can't open a bank account? Drastic

Do you have any other recent proof of address from overseas? Use that
    Well, I have overseas address in USA with bank statement and credit card record, I tried almost all banks, and even different branches for same banks they all came with the word " WE ARE SORRY - PASSPORT ISSUE "
    The company will not pay by cash or by checks, let's assume they can pay, can you tell me where to put my money? Considering being paid at higher managerial salary for oil industry? I am working on my PhD, how I can send money to pay my fees? In case of emergency happened, hospital or whatever, how i will pay for treatment? and many other questions...
    The company did a big mistake - they should know everything before hiring - not just keep you waiting and then you find yourself in a big mess and imbalance in life.
    The company is aware of all that now, thank God I am single, jumping into a plane is just five minutes with nothing to worry about when you pack ( after giving them notice of terminating the contract )