Like Tree91Likes

Phone found in taxi

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Think again, what we learnt in school..

Be a better person to the society, even though I never get any of my phone back........

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks

Cho-man and jimbo like this.

Quote Originally Posted by zoeee:
    It doesn't, and I wasn't referring anything matter about this.

OP asked for a normal protocol, so I gave him the answer about normal "protocol" here.

Whether having the phone for yourself is morally correct or not is another matter. Experience shapes values, for there is not right or wrong on values.

People usually do what THEY think is right, which is fairly acceptable.
    You're mistaking "protocol" for likely behaviour. You might want to check a dictionary.

Quote Originally Posted by ray98:
    Zoeee, I think you have misunderstood the OP's meaning of "protocol" which I assume the OP meant as "correct procedure".

The correct procedure is to hand it in to the police. Otherwise, if you keep it for your own use or disposal, it is stealing. It's stealing because you are taking for your own use something you know doesn't belong to you. There is no legal possession by "finders-keepers" in law, in law its "stealing by finding".

What you are saying is that most people in Hong Kong would steal by finding, but merits of that assumption aside, it's certainly not protocol, either morally or in law.
    Understand. Thanks for breaking down the "protocol" and explaining it to detail. You are right.

Though I don't agree it be necessarily morally incorrect to not hand it back. It doesn't necessarily make up a wrong thing of not giving back in certain occasions, but it is unlawful for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by ray98:
    You're mistaking "protocol" for likely behaviour. You might want to check a dictionary.
    It was explained already.

Thank you for all the tolerance.
    Last edited by zoeee; 25-03-2015 at 11:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zoeee:
    Understand. Thanks for breaking down the "protocol" and explaining it to detail. You are right.

Though I don't agree it be necessarily morally incorrect to not hand it back. It doesn't necessarily make up a wrong thing of not giving back in certain occasions, but it is unlawful for sure.

It was explained already.

Thank you for all the tolerance.
    Why on earth not? Of course it is morally incorrect to not hand it back. Give me one circumstance that you think it would be OK to break the law, steal something that doesn't belong to you and for that act to NOT be morally wrong?

You must have some seriously low morals if you are going to argue this doesn't break your moral code.

Zoeee, I think your finders keepers, losers weepers mentality is not shared by the majority of folks. Sure, people do it, but it is and should be morally incorrect. If you think otherwise, there is something wrong there.

Elegiaque likes this.

Albeit the BOC money truck in Wanchai on Xmas eve. I would of been sorely tempted

Cho-man and Stu79 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo:
    Albeit the BOC money truck in Wanchai on Xmas eve. I would of been sorely tempted
    Stop BSing - you're loaded! I'm sure you appreciate your freedom to enjoy your lolly rather than an odd million or so in dodgy cash with the risk of a few months free food, lodgings and security in Stanley

Quote Originally Posted by rathunt:
    Why on earth not? Of course it is morally incorrect to not hand it back. Give me one circumstance that you think it would be OK to break the law, steal something that doesn't belong to you and for that act to NOT be morally wrong?

You must have some seriously low morals if you are going to argue this doesn't break your moral code.
    If the economic situation is in server. i.e - you are broke, and have no money for tomorrow. Extreme case - Jean Valjean.
    Won't consider it immoral in similar cases, but unlawful it is.
    Rare to see in today's society but there are some pretty close cases though.

My moral standards are shaped by what I have seen and experienced of the places I've been to and the events I undergo in the past, be it the most comfortable, contented, delightful things, or the most uncomfortable, lost or miserable things.

In response to you conclusion of "low morals", the followings are the morals of me if you bother to know :
    My bottom line is always not to harm people, i.e. killing, threatening, any physically harming actions. I am not sensitive to such kind of stealing since it happens to be very common from what I experienced. Therefore. the kind of "stealing" in such case, I would naturally consider it not be a moral matter. Rather I think it a responsibility to do it.

My responsibility to hand this back to the owner, and I will do it if my economic circumstances allows me to do it.

Thanks.
    Last edited by zoeee; 25-03-2015 at 12:03 PM.

You are aware that jean valjean is a fictional character right?

rathunt and Cho-man like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Walter White:
    Zoeee, I think your finders keepers, losers weepers mentality is not shared by the majority of folks. Sure, people do it, but it is and should be morally incorrect. If you think otherwise, there is something wrong there.
    I disagree with the mentality you described is what the mentality I am demonstrating.

I don't think it is necessarily immoral, which implies I pause, consider a longer time about the morality when it comes to the "stealing" the post is referring to.

Maybe this person has difficulties at the moment in his life? So may it be if he steals it? Well, since I don't know, I couldn't judge if this action is moral or not. I'm just seeing part of the picture.

^Likely to explain what it means "not necessarily immoral"