Like Tree54Likes

helper on the run?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Red face helper on the run?

I would love to bring my helper to Canada with us while we visit family for 1 month this summer. I really need her help with 2 kids and the long flights and everything in between. She will have been with us for 4 months by the time we take the trip. But I'd been warned where the helper has disappeared on their employers. Does it happen to Indonesian helpers? Is there any precautions? I'd love some insight! thank you!

There are helpers who have travelled the world from Paris to New York to Africa and always returned with their employers, and then there are ones who have worked with the same family for 5+ years and gone overseas only to disappear in the middle of the night with little more than a 'thanks' note.

If they are going to do a runner, there is very little you can do short of not taking them on the trip.

shri likes this.

Cheap solution is a dog collar
    Expensive solution is a microchip with gps
    Both u can fix at a vetenary clinic although they might object Because it involves a human being and not your pet.

jimbo likes this.

• 134 KHZ ISO Chip
    • Quickly and safely injects under the surface of helper's skin
    • Unique ID code in implant chip detects your helper only
    • Identification code can be registered with the Hong Kong Employers of Domestic Helpers Association
    Last edited by East_coast; 14-02-2015 at 06:21 AM.
    Elegiaque likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullo:
    But I'd been warned where the helper has disappeared on their employers.
    I don't think that Canada has similar laws as we have in Hong Kong, were you can keep your slave for a fixed 2 year period and the slave has no rights during that time.

One of the basic rights is IMHO that an employee is free to chose where they like to work.

And how you apply the work permit for Canada anyway?

Take her passport - that's the tough way.

Offer her something on her return like a small bonus or time off - that's the nice way.

Or do both to be safe.

I have relatives who come from a country that uses DH like Hong Kong. Some have been all over the world on amazing vacations, none have run away. They are treated really well like part of the family, they wouldn't be better off as illegal immigrants in US or Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    Take her passport - that's the tough way.
    Surely the illegal way
    matchstick man likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Surely the illegal way
    Yup totally illegal and unethical
    matchstick man likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    Surely the illegal way
    Well it's the OP's choice. I would not be unduly worried about a helper running away in Canada and in her situation would offer the post-trip incentive rather than take a passport.

As I said I have many relatives who have taken DH on amazing holidays, none needed to have passport taken.

Quote Originally Posted by flameproof:
    And how you apply the work permit for Canada anyway?
    I called the Canadian Consulate. Its legal to bring your domestic helper to Canada on tourist visa as long as she is doing the job she is contracted to do with you in Hong Kong - not more.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast