Like Tree92Likes

MTR queue during rush hours

Reply
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
  1. #91

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    11,843
    Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    The worst with the minibuses is the 80kmh/h speed limit board/bell.
    The drivers keep fucking driving at 81 or 82km\h meaning you have the freaking biiip biiiip biiip going on all the time!!!!
    before the mechanical speed limiters implemented, no Biip , blip... it's continuous BUUUUH tone after exceed 95km per hour !!! circa 2000-2005 (not sure after 2005), by 2007 , most mini buses had mechanical speed limiters.

  2. #92
    Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    The worst with the minibuses is the 80kmh/h speed limit board/bell.
    The drivers keep fucking driving at 81 or 82km\h meaning you have the freaking biiip biiiip biiip going on all the time!!!!
    LOL, I thought u meant honking.
    understood now.

    Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Jordan or Mongkok to Gold Coast is also under half an hour on a red minibus. They are also called "flying coffins".... although to be honest I don't think they are any more dangerous than many taxis. Its been a few years since I saw one do over 100 in a 70kmph zone. (the record was 123kpmh in a 70 zone....)

    Like the OP, I am generally more interested in getting home and less interested in the minor chance of an accident. Life is full of risks.
    yeah..*Hi 5*

    looking for bus route houses won't be as easy, gotta wait till I am physically there first, hmm.
    how do one survive the TH8 if buses cancelled? or prolonged black rain?
    bunk at office?! haha
    Last edited by emilyxyz; 09-03-2015 at 02:44 PM.

  3. #93

    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    3,929
    Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:

    Like the OP, I am generally more interested in getting home and less interested in the minor chance of an accident. Life is full of risks.
    Agreed. But I should add a caveat. There are calculated risks worth taking and risks that are plainly not worth it.

    Whether taking a red minibus falls into which of those risk category depends not just on the statistics but also your subjective evaluation of the kind of risks you are willing to take versus the benefits gained.
    Last edited by Cho-man; 09-03-2015 at 03:14 PM.

  4. #94

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    11,843

    why not consider looking at near tseung kwan o mtr , according to mtr route planner ( website) it's almost same time for the journey to admiralty at 24mins

    let's say your budget for rental apartment is at HK$15k, Hang Fe Cheun ( which mentioned) , probably get 380 sq ft, for Jordan, probably similar space

    but in tseung kwan o, you may get 600 sq ft for the same amount of money , ie, more for your buck

    I note that tsing yi mtr to admiralty is at 27mins (according to official mtr site)

    emilyxyz likes this.

  5. #95
    Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    why not consider looking at near tseung kwan o mtr , according to mtr route planner ( website) it's almost same time for the journey to admiralty at 24mins

    let's say your budget for rental apartment is at HK$15k, Hang Fe Cheun ( which mentioned) , probably get 380 sq ft, for Jordan, probably similar space

    but in tseung kwan o, you may get 600 sq ft for the same amount of money , ie, more for your buck

    I note that tsing yi mtr to admiralty is at 27mins (according to official mtr site)
    how accurate is the planner, if I may ask. does it calculate theoretical or realistical time required. if its theoretical, it doesn't really depict the real picture too right (which is why I am asking for opinion here)

    on the island.. really too small. thus I am looking outside of island but not at NT (just to be clear)

  6. #96

    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    7,525
    Quote Originally Posted by Cho-man:
    Whether taking a red minibus falls into which of those risk category depends not just on the statistics but also your subjective evaluation of the kind of risks you are willing to take.
    In my opinion. red minibuses are worth the risk if you can get the 'inside' of the two person seat. ie You have a human body on either side of you to provide a cushion when the bus rolls over or gets crushed.
    Cho-man likes this.

  7. #97

    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    11,843
    Quote Originally Posted by emilyxyz:
    how accurate is the planner, if I may ask. does it calculate theoretical or realistical time required. if its theoretical, it doesn't really depict the real picture too right (which is why I am asking for opinion here)

    on the island.. really too small. thus I am looking outside of island but not at NT (just to be clear)
    IMO, on average, add 5mins on top on the mtr planner, if involving multiple platform change add 10min.
    emilyxyz likes this.

  8. #98

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    12,060
    Quote Originally Posted by emilyxyz:
    how do one survive the TH8 if buses cancelled? or prolonged black rain?
    bunk at office?! haha
    You get plenty of notice to get home. MTR still runs (usually). Typhoons rarely last THAT long and if you are stuck in Central the bars are usually all open and doing "typhoon specials".
    emilyxyz likes this.

  9. #99

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    12,060
    Quote Originally Posted by emilyxyz:
    how accurate is the planner, if I may ask. does it calculate theoretical or realistical time required. if its theoretical, it doesn't really depict the real picture too right (which is why I am asking for opinion here)

    on the island.. really too small. thus I am looking outside of island but not at NT (just to be clear)
    MTR planner usually about right.

    The other thing you might want to look at is this site: hketransport.com

    That will tell you all the possible routes between A and B, (except the flying coffins, which you just have to know) and timings on that usually OVER estimate the time.

    Particularly for the buses that come every 20 mins, if you catch the same one a few times, then you get to know the timetable and can rock up at the bus stop 2 or 3 mins before it comes, rather than having to wait 20 mins. (or a 10 min "average"). It makes a big difference. I keep a spreadsheet of the ones I catch often.

  10. #100

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    219
    Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    MTR planner usually about right.

    The other thing you might want to look at is this site: hketransport.com

    That will tell you all the possible routes between A and B, (except the flying coffins, which you just have to know) and timings on that usually OVER estimate the time.

    Particularly for the buses that come every 20 mins, if you catch the same one a few times, then you get to know the timetable and can rock up at the bus stop 2 or 3 mins before it comes, rather than having to wait 20 mins. (or a 10 min "average"). It makes a big difference. I keep a spreadsheet of the ones I catch often.
    the link of the site should be 香港乘車易 - 路線搜尋
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Reply
Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast