Like Tree92Likes

MTR queue during rush hours

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    Problem is she'd have to go through those tunnels with the moving walkways from HK to Central station to change to Island Line for Admiralty or to exit for a bus or to the sidewalk. At rush hour it's an extremely unpleasant walk surrounded by a crush of people.
    how long is the walk or tunnel that you meant?

Quote Originally Posted by emilyxyz:
    how long is the walk or tunnel that you meant?
    If you walk at a normal speed, from getting off the train on the Tung Chung Line in HK station to the exit from Central station closest to Admiralty (exit J) about 10-12 minutes in rush hour.

I've done it in less than 10 on a Sunday morning.
    Last edited by merchantms; 08-03-2015 at 05:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    The only station on your route that has foot fall congestion is in Admiralty heading to TST in the evening but that doesn't start to build up until 6:00PM so you should be fine at 5:30.

The MTR have increased the frequency of trains so even at the worst times you may only have to wait 4 trains (10 minutes)

The trains will be busy but hopefully manageable.
    I don't expect I will be waiting for train at exactly 5.30. The overtime/finishing work late, walking, might reach platform nearly or at 6pm too.

if its 10 minutes top, I guess that's fine.

I have seen these crazy looong queue video and photo at admiralty station and it looked horrifying.

The tunnel is about 100m. I have walked through it hundreds of times without ever seeing the conditions reported by merchantms.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    The tunnel is about 100m. I have walked through it hundreds of times without ever seeing the conditions reported by merchantms.
    I'm reporting that it's crowded...sorry is that being unfair? And people walking slowly?

I have seen these crazy looong queue video and photo at admiralty station and it looked horrifying.
    Seeing 100'0's of people waiting for the same train as you can feel daunting but after a few times it just seems like a very long 10 mins.
    Cho-man likes this.

At brisk walk from the platform of the Island Line to a platform of the Tung Chung line takes approx 7mins, even at peak commuting hour when everyone is rushing home. I don't go on the travelators, but walk down the super wide middle section, which is always near empty, and I walk faster than the people standing still on the travelators.

Sent from my iPhone using GeoClicks

TheBrit, HK_Katherine and Beuze like this.

I probably would not be happy if I had to get off or on at Admiralty station, it's a nightmare. I've done it before and had to wait 5-6 trains, which is about 12 minutes, but the point is people are constantly pushing and cutting in front of you and breathing all over you. There is the HK station route which I think is ok. Of course it feels like if you are in a hurry that it is difficult to overtake people as it is that crowded so it's a go with the flow type. Getting on/off the train at HK station and Central station, usually you can push yourself in without much trouble. If you're a polite person, you might wait 2-3 trains which is about 5-6 minutes at Central station and about 7-10 minutes at HK station.

Seems like Tung Chung line is not too bad and I should avoid admiralty at all cost.

Does it mean that its not that bad to go to TST/Tsuen Wan line as long as I don't start from Admiralty.

Do I walk from Admiralty to Central? Because office is near Admiralty station.

Seems like Tung Chung line is not too bad and I should avoid admiralty at all cost.

Does it mean that its not that bad to go to TST/Tsuen Wan line as long as I don't start from Admiralty.

Do I walk from Admiralty to Central? Because office is near Admiralty station.
    Yup I'd walk it from admiralty to central if you want to avoid the crush at peak times.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast