Like Tree92Likes

MTR queue during rush hours

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:

This is the size of the tunnel. I have never once seen it remotely so crowded you couldn't walk down the central aisle easily overtaking anyone else. Even in Chinese New Year!
    Actually CNY would be quieter as it is a public holiday, no mad rush of people. Just folks getting to their parent's homes to get the lai see.

As for "crowded", it depends on how one defines being "crowded".
    Last edited by Cho-man; 08-03-2015 at 07:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Proplus:
    At brisk walk from the platform of the Island Line to a platform of the Tung Chung line takes approx 7mins, even at peak commuting hour when everyone is rushing home. I don't go on the travelators, but walk down the super wide middle section, which is always near empty, and I walk faster than the people standing still on the travelators.
    This is pretty much spot on. It takes me 5 minutes from from Tung Chung platform to the exit a little before the Island Land. The time is the same irrespective of going at 6am, 8am, 8am 9am or any other hour of the day.

This is pretty much spot on. It takes me 5 minutes from from Tung Chung platform to the exit a little before the Island Land. The time is the same irrespective of going at 6am, 8am, 8am 9am or any other hour of the day.
    Have you actually timed yourself to confirm that?

Quote Originally Posted by Cho-man:
    Have you actually timed yourself to confirm that?
    Yep. I wondered how much quicker it is to go underground or over the overhead walkway so I checked. Overhead walkway takes about 8 minutes, underground about 5. The distance ia the same, but more elevators on the overhead route.
    East_coast likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cho-man:
    Actually CNY would be quieter as it is a public holiday, no mad rush of people. Just folks getting to their parent's homes to get the lai see.
    The day before Chinese New Year starts is very busy, eveeyone tends to leave work at the same time, not staggered out between 5pm and 9pm like most nights. Majority of people are out of the door by 5.
    Cho-man likes this.

Yep. I wondered how much quicker it is to go underground or over the overhead walkway so I checked. Overhead walkway takes about 8 minutes, underground about 5. The distance ia the same, but more elevators on the overhead route.
    At different times of the day as you mentioned? I'll have to check myself to see whether it really is as accurate you claim.

The day before Chinese New Year starts is very busy, eveeyone tends to leave work at the same time, not staggered out between 5pm and 9pm like most nights. Majority of people are out of the door by 5.
    Yes, that is true, I'll grant you that.

But for the actual CNY holiday(s), the crowd is usually thinner at the MTR Central station, based on my experience.

but over ground is less souless

True. It has the advantage of not having to walk past the smell of Mrs Fields cookies either which always makes me hungry. OP is transferring to Island line though so not a good option for her.

You can get on trains faster at admiralty by knowing the patterns of people through the station. Basically go to the front of the train and squeeze down by the wall where there are no gaps. Max wait 1 or 2 trains there unlike the crush in the centre. (Worked at admiralty for several years - it's not as bad as it looks once you suss out the station)

East_coast, Cho-man and emilyxyz like this.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 12 ... LastLast