Like Tree92Likes

MTR queue during rush hours

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cho-man:
    It is fast paced and efficient in...certain areas. But in other areas, the city will pissed you off if you are prone to be so impatient and explosive in temper.
    why is "is" italic?
    I am prone to impatience but I usually just implode.
    I still let people cut queue instead of shove them off the queue
    I sigh and roll eyes but I dont throw tantrum.
    I grunt at malfunctioning LRT system (no MRT yet) but I still wait in line even if it takes 30 minutes.
    I smack at electronics usually when I am alone

towards the end of the day, I just reward myself with something I like

Quote Originally Posted by emilyxyz:
    why is "is" italic?
    I am prone to impatience but I usually just implode.
    I still let people cut queue instead of shove them off the queue
    I sigh and roll eyes but I dont throw tantrum.
    I grunt at malfunctioning LRT system (no MRT yet) but I still wait in line even if it takes 30 minutes.
    I smack at electronics usually when I am alone

towards the end of the day, I just reward myself with something I like
    I am generalizing here, and chances are there will be quite a number of exceptions. But since you asked:

What is efficient:

1. The public transportation system. Simply put, the train and buses run on time. The MTR system is clean, easy-to-use and reliable. Breakdowns do happen, but are relatively rare and quickly repaired. Buses are also comfortable and relatively cheap as are the taxis.

2. Simple, straightforward and low taxation system. Unlike the nightmarishy complex taxation laws of certain countries, the HK system is relatively simple and easy to grasp and tax returns easy to fill. The taxes are also quite low.

3. Finding a place to eat out. Its debatable whether there are as many international cuisine on offer in HK as some of its supporters claim, but if you want to eat out, its convenient, quick and easy to find a place nearby. So long as you are not too picky, you don't need to worry about not finding a place to eat.

What is inefficient:

1. The local work culture. Unproductive due to excessive office politics and rigid and old-schooled management.

2. Getting a useful response from the government. If you want to make inquiries with the government of any kind, don't expect a quick and painless answer or resolution. Its the bureaucracy.

3. Improper distribution of traffc flow. Won't really impact you if you take the MTR most of the time, but certain roadways in HK are clogged with traffic while others are empty. The cross-harbour tunnels are a prime example. There are three tunnels that crossed the harbour, but the majority of the traffic is concentrated on the Hung Hom tunnel (because it is the cheapest), causing routine jams, while the Western Harbour Tunnel is underused because it is the most expensive. The government can't really do anything since the tunnels are operated by private companies and they charge prices they deem necessary to make a good return.
    Last edited by Cho-man; 08-03-2015 at 10:28 PM.

I have never come across a Government department that was not stunningly efficient here. They have civil servants you can call up or email and get a response quickly and easily. From the Inland Revenue, to Transportation Department to Water Services to Customs to Births Deaths and Marriages.. it all runs like clockwork. The costs are low too The civil service is the best I have seen anywhere in the world, bar none.

jmbf, bookblogger, jrkob and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by emilyxyz:
    that's disappointing to hear I thought Hong Kong is all about fast paced and efficiency.
    No. It is filled to capacity with slow-moving smartphone zombies.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    I have never come across a Government department that was not stunningly efficient here. They have civil servants you can call up or email and get a response quickly and easily. From the Inland Revenue, to Transportation Department to Water Services to Customs to Births Deaths and Marriages.. it all runs like clockwork. The costs are low too The civil service is the best I have seen anywhere in the world, bar none.
    Compared to the British government of course the HK government would appear efficient, need I remind you of the UK passport renewal fiasco? Fine example of your British bureaucracy, hehehe.

But the HK government is inefficient in many other ways.
    Last edited by Cho-man; 08-03-2015 at 10:45 PM.

OP :you might consider living on an island with a 30 minute commute to Central, then you can just hop on a quick bus to Admiralty. The ferries are reliable, and then there's nothing to stress out about once you're on them.

bookblogger likes this.

Hong Kong also makes expats gnarly and argumentative.

In reality the business zone from Central to CWB is well served with public transport with the exception of the Cross Harbour Tunnel that has lots of buses but unfortunately even more cars adding 10 mins of congestion to your journey

Cho-man likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Cho-man:
    2. Getting a useful response from the government. If you want to make inquiries with the government of any kind, don't expect a quick and painless answer or resolution. Its the bureaucracy.
    I second Cho-man here . I sent an email to enquire visa related matters to the immigration department around January. While the first "sorting" was quick, telling me escalated to certain department, the actual reply to my question took at least two weeks if not three (I can't really remember). The reply didn't answer my question either.
    Cho-man likes this.

Morning around 845 and evening around 640 it's packed.people walk fast,I admit,but overtake? I don't see how that's possible.
    Last edited by alexdown; 09-03-2015 at 08:41 AM.
    merchantms and Mat like this.

This is the size of the tunnel. I have never once seen it remotely so crowded you couldn't walk down the central aisle easily overtaking anyone else. Even in Chinese New Year!
    During rush hour it never looks like this. Ever. Both moving walkways are full, the walkway coming from Tung Chung to Island line is even more crowded, and the space in the middle is also completely full of people. You can walk but you cannot walk very quickly. Also not sure if people can tell in the picture but it's an upwards incline here from TC to Island, so people slow down their pace even more.

It's not unbearable, it's not impossible to traverse, but I find it unpleasant and very full of people during peak times. I would rather take a bus or walk outside than do this twice a day. Personal preference of course.
    emilyxyz and Mat like this.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast