Like Tree92Likes

MTR queue during rush hours

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

If you are lucky enough to be on a minibuses route then they usually provide a great commuting experience since they tend to come more frequently than buses, 100% chance of getting a seat, they tend to go as fast as cars/taxi's, and no need to walk up/down from street level deep into the underground.

The red top ones have added excitement since they tend to go as fast as rocket ships, are allowed to run red lights (that's why they have a red top), and are excluded from compliance with all traffic laws except the one about not being allowed to cross double white lines.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:
    If you are lucky enough to be on a minibuses route then they usually provide a great commuting experience since they tend to come more frequently than buses, 100% chance of getting a seat, they tend to go as fast as cars/taxi's, and no need to walk up/down from street level deep into the underground.

The red top ones have added excitement since they tend to go as fast as rocket ships, are allowed to run red lights (that's why they have a red top), and are excluded from compliance with all traffic laws except the one about not being allowed to cross double white lines.
    are you serious??
    why is there such dangerous special privilege?

no, he's not serious. sorry. ;-)

they don't feel very safe when you're on them. also, 100% chance of a seat if you're on but it's not 100% chance of them letting you on.

emilyxyz likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by bdw:

the red ones are nothing like what there were during the 90's /early 00's, especially the midnight ones, previously, causeway bay midnight to tai po in 20 mins (now around 50mins) , dangerous like hell especially when you see at back of the seats handles all broken!
    emilyxyz likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by emilyxyz:
    are you serious??
    Bdw may be exaggerating (a little), but the red minibuses (along with some taxi drivers) do have a reputation for reckless and aggressive driving in HK. Their degree of dangerous driving may have changed (as imparanoic stated), but they still drive a little too fast for some to feel comfortable with. It doesn't help some of these drivers were caught doing drugs. So bdw is just saying you should be careful when you ride on them.
    Last edited by Cho-man; 09-03-2015 at 01:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cho-man:
    Bdw may be exaggerating (a little bit), but the red minibuses (along with some taxi drivers) do have a reputation for reckless and aggressive driving in HK. Their degree of dangerous driving may have changed (as imparanoic stated), but they still drive a little too fast for some to feel comfortable with. It doesn't help some of these drivers were caught doing drugs. So bdw is just saying you should be careful when you ride on them.
    Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    the red ones are nothing like what there were during the 90's /early 00's, especially the midnight ones, previously, causeway bay midnight to tai po in 20 mins (now around 50mins) , dangerous like hell especially when you see at back of the seats handles all broken!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw:
    no, he's not serious. sorry. ;-)

they don't feel very safe when you're on them. also, 100% chance of a seat if you're on but it's not 100% chance of them letting you on.
    hahaha.. now I am slightly disappointed.
    flying buses FTW . I don't mind the crazy driving as long as safe and fast.

P.S. I tipped a taxi driver (in my country) from airport to my residence because of this type of driving *muahahaha* the process is less important, just give me outcome

Quote Originally Posted by imparanoic:
    They have calmed down in general, but the Causeway Bay to Tai Po minibus still gets me home in 25 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by emilyxyz:
    are you serious??
    My apologies for any confusion . The first paragraph was serious, I take a green minibus to work every day and it is excellent, very frequent, seating only, may need to wait for 2 or 3 buses during peak but they come every few minutes, they do go about the speed of taxi/car so quite efficient, more point to point for me without spending 5 minutes at each end going up and down into the train.

I was slightly exaggerating the second paragraph. But the red minibuses do have a bad reputation. They are not really regulated by govt the same as the green ones, they run unregulated and unpublished routes, the drivers are not paid a fixed salary like the green ones (so therefore the faster they drive the higher their income), many don't accept octopus payments and need to deal cash with the driver, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by bookblogger:
    They have calmed down in general, but the Causeway Bay to Tai Po minibus still gets me home in 25 minutes.
    Jordan or Mongkok to Gold Coast is also under half an hour on a red minibus. They are also called "flying coffins".... although to be honest I don't think they are any more dangerous than many taxis. Its been a few years since I saw one do over 100 in a 70kmph zone. (the record was 123kpmh in a 70 zone....)

Like the OP, I am generally more interested in getting home and less interested in the minor chance of an accident. Life is full of risks.
    Last edited by HK_Katherine; 09-03-2015 at 02:19 PM.
    emilyxyz and Cho-man like this.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    Jordan or Mongkok to Gold Coast is also under half an hour on a red minibus. They are also called "flying coffins".... although to be honest I don't think they are any more dangerous than many taxis. Its been a few years since I saw one do over 100 in a 70kmph zone. (the record was 123kpmh in a 70 zone....)
    The worst with the minibuses is the 80kmh/h speed limit board/bell.
    The drivers keep fucking driving at 81 or 82km\h meaning you have the freaking biiip biiiip biiip going on all the time!!!!
    emilyxyz likes this.

Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast