Like Tree92Likes

MTR queue during rush hours

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast

MTR queue during rush hours

I will be relocating to Hong Kong in April.

Could anyone please tell me how long will one be stuck in queue from say Tsuen Wan Line, Jordan MRT to Admiralty (morning) and evening from Admiralty back to Jordan. 15 minutes? Half an hour? An hour?!

Compare to Island Line Heng Fa Chuen Station to Admiralty(morning) and return at evening.

I am not talking about commuting time, I am asking about the time spent waiting in line for a chance to squeeze in the train.

If I do not wish to get stuck in long queue and huge crowd. Will it be more advisable to look for accommodation on the island.

What times in the morning/evening?

You could check out accommodation along the Tung Chung line in Kowloon. Although still busy at peak times, it is far less crowded than the other lines.

emilyxyz likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    What times in the morning/evening?
    Morning 8 am (maybe)? Office hour is 8.30 am, after office hour is 5.30 pm.

Quote Originally Posted by jmbf:
    You could check out accommodation along the Tung Chung line in Kowloon. Although still busy at peak times, it is far less crowded than the other lines.
    thanks for the tips.
    will definitely look into it

Train is every two minutes so you shouldn't need to wait more than 2-3 trains at most during peak.

Changing from island line to Tsuen Wan line can be horrific though at peak times.

Don't get off at admiralty and get off at central on the way home as there's two trains waiting at the station usually. Thus avoiding the crush at admiralty

Cho-man and Mrs. Jones like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jmbf:
    Problem is she'd have to go through those tunnels with the moving walkways from HK to Central station to change to Island Line for Admiralty or to exit for a bus or to the sidewalk. At rush hour it's an extremely unpleasant walk surrounded by a crush of people.
    Mrs. Jones likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by emilyxyz:
    Morning 8 am (maybe)? Office hour is 8.30 am, after office hour is 5.30 pm.
    The only station on your route that has foot fall congestion is in Admiralty heading to TST in the evening but that doesn't start to build up until 6:00PM so you should be fine at 5:30.

The MTR have increased the frequency of trains so even at the worst times you may only have to wait 4 trains (10 minutes)

The trains will be busy but hopefully manageable.

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms:
    Problem is she'd have to go through those tunnels with the moving walkways from HK to Central station to change to Island Line for Admiralty or to exit for a bus or to the sidewalk. At rush hour it's an extremely unpleasant walk surrounded by a crush of people.
    You don't have to walk on the moving walkways - you can walk the 100 odd metres without using the travelator. I know this is heresy for most HK people, but the good thing is there is plenty of room for the rest of us.

It's packed whether you walk on them on not. Always full of people watching videos on their phone straggling along! I stayed at Kowloon station for a month and I tried every method, it's slow going no matter what.

Cho-man likes this.

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 9 ... LastLast