Moving to HongKong (from India)

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Moving to HongKong (from India)

Hi,

I was fairly delighted to see the range of views. And here I am with my list of apprehensions. My husband has been offered a movement from his present place of work in India to Hkg at about USD 5000 p.m. Is it enough to maintain a good lifestyle? Also, since i would eventually need a job for myself too, are marketing jobs available easily for expats or do the companies usually recognise specific courses only from specific countries? I have about 10 yrs experience in marketing in media.

Will be great to have your thoughts

Hi. I believe that the job market situation is still quite slow. More people getting fired than hired. It took me 8 months to find a job! For me, not speaking Cantonese and Mandarin was the main obstacle. It might be worth joining some employment agencies and see what they say the market is like for marketing jobs.
    USD5,000 is enough for a good lifestyle. Does this include a housing allowance? Rent is very high in Hong Kong (approx USD2,000-USD5,000+) so it depends on where you want to live and in what type of apartment. If you have to pay rent from the USD5000 then I would think about what apartment you would like to live in and the price of that apartment and then take it from there.

>> are marketing jobs available easily for expats or do the companies usually recognise specific courses only from specific countries? I have about 10 yrs experience in marketing in media.

Yes and no. It all depends on the answer to the question.. how long is a piece of string?

At 10 years .. no one would bother looking for academic qualifications, specially if you've got the job through a known contact.

Hi Sazzy,

No it doesnt include rent...so I guess it does not sound like a good deal?

I am told that USD 1300 or so should get us a 650 - 700 sq ft apt but dont know in what place?

Hi Shri,

Unfortunately, dont have known contacts and so wonder if it will boil down to academic qualifications?

Not with 10 years experience ....

Besides, you're a marketing person. You should know how to market yourself.

Meemo
    5K is ok if they are taking care of housing, medical and other expenses. If not I would stay in India. IMO the laidback lifestyle in India is a lot better than hectic Hk. If I were to get a job there I'd leave HK in a heartbeat.

You could rent an older apartment in Tsimshatsui around Austin Ave for HK$8000 for 850Sqft. There seem to be many Indians in this area and you might like it.

Bill

Hi,

Thanks all.

The company is taking care of medical in 5K but not housing. I see the point...I think we should realisticially budget about HKD 15000 p.m. atleast for the house (about 800 sq feet apt. at a location close to Central...is the budgeting reasonable?). We are used to the luxury of a 1200 sq ft apt. in India!

Do you guys feel that utilities and groceries etc will add up to more than HKD 6000 pm. for 2 people, including eating out, going for movies etc. (we dont drink so thats some saving!)

I am also following the discussion forum with stephindix....incidentally, how many months deposit has to be paid on signing the house lease?

>> how many months deposit has to be paid on signing the house lease?

Budget for:

2 months deposit and half months commission to the estate agent.

Also, there might be some smaller deposits involved with management fees, electricity and phone lines.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast