Legal.. "semi-legal?"

Red face Legal.. "semi-legal?"

My girlfriend and I have been dating 3 years and she is a native Hk. I live in the USA and plan to visit HK near the end of the year . I'd like to stay for longer than the 3 months normal entry gives me. Any way to get an extention to maybe 6 months or a year? I've heard people say it is possible to go for 3 months, take a trip to Macau or the Mainland and then re-enter for 3 more months. Is that legal? Doable? If not, what might be another way to get a longer stay without the obvious "work visa" or marriage route?

I think the Macau trip does work? Pretty sure you can re-enter as a visitor for renewed 3 months.

Last edited by Baron; 31-03-2005 at 08:28 PM.

I'll let you know

I am the "boyfriend" who is actually living in Hong Kong now. Since we moved here, I've been somewhat worried about the visa issue as we plan to stay for undetermined amount of time, but from what I've seen thus far, you won't have trouble. I've been here now almost two months and was planning a trip to Macau, but we are going to take a small trip outside the region within the time limits of my legal entry. There is always some uncertainty, but from watching other people's entries, exits, and travels, you shouldn't have trouble.

i have a friend from the US who has been in hong kong for over a year and a half. he goes to singapore to visit some of his wife's family often but he's never had any problems getting another three months issues when re-entering. the company is finally going to sponsor his work visa.

Red face Reply to your reply

Quote Originally Posted by **:
    Absolutely legal...
    Usually no problem for first extension...
    second or third extension sometimes a problem?
    what would be considered a vailid reason? I don't really have a valid reason

Legally, they cannot block re-entry. There is no such immigration condition.

If you face difficulties, tell them you would like to contact your embassy so that your home country can consider reciprocating Hong Kong's treatment of you to Hong Kong citizens.

Quote Originally Posted by sghkcn:
    Legally, they cannot block re-entry. There is no such immigration condition.
    Rubbish. If you are not a holder of Permanent Right of Abode in Hong Kong then every entry you attempt to make into HK is at the absolute discretion of the Immigration Officer at the border. This is the way it works in pretty much every country.

That exercise of discretion is subordinate to the preservation of international comity.

Between nations (not individuals) and on grounds of good foreign policy.

Look if you don't understand all this that's fine. Just don't call it rubbish unless you have proof that Hong Kong prevents re-entry to US Citizens on a regular basis.