Choice of Areas

Choice of Areas

Hello

Could you give me some advice on areas to live in? We are about to move to HK from London, where we live in the centre of the city - 15 mins walk to from work, and we are wondering where would be a good place to move to, will be in HK for two years and then back into London - so was thinking that maybe somewhere like Repulse Bay would be a complete change as we would never to get the chance to live somewhere like that back at home? or should we just stick to Midlevels? We are both 28 and enjoy going out but also enjoy walking and outdoor activities?

Thanks so much

Rachel

Hey Rachel
    Before I answer your question - where in HK is your office?

Rachel,

If you don't have kids then I would skip Repulse Bay and consider Mid-Levels or Happy Valley. Yes, its convenient, lots of nice places to eat and there are a couple of nice trails for walks etc.

Rani

HK transport is great and reliable. Repulse Bay is on the south of the island and it will take approx 40/50 mins to get to Central by bus. Happy Valley/Mid Levels are on the north side and travel time will be less plus more choice of transport (tram/bus/MTR).
    I live in Happy Valley. I personally prefer less commute time during the week to work. It is easy to get to the south side for beaches/hikes at the weekends.

If you put 'convenience' & 'lively' in the first priority, I would suggest Mid-Level where you can see lots of westerners, you will feel less awkward with similar faces around; and it easy to get everywhere (I suppose you would like to explore more as a newcomer in town), and basically can get everything you need. And if you like to spend some of your time in pubs, a good place stay. As you are from London, I am sure you can cope with the people and traffic.

However, if you prefer fresh air, bigger house (the house like a Duplex with a big backyard), and peace and quiet most of the time, beaches, you should choose Repulse Bay, Shouson Hill, or Stanley (very busy at the weekend but generally quiet during the week). But it's far from the town - less convenient in other word. You have to put up with the 30 to 40 minutes journey every day to town. I like spending my weekend there, but will not consider living there though.

Happy Valley is also a good place to live - half way, not too crowded, not too quiet. Quite a trendy place with many stylish wine bars.

I personally prefer Mid-Levels.

>> (the house like a Duplex with a big backyard)

At around HK$60-75K per month.

Yes, that's right. It can also be very expensive if you choose to live in Repulse Bay, Shouson Hill, etc. So, you have to set your budget first.

Thanks for the advice, the thing is we live in the city now, I walk into work and we thought it might be nice to live near the beach as we would never be able to do that back at home, we will be moving back to the city of London in 2 years. - we have 40K HKD to spend on accom, but I donlt kiek the sound of the 40 to 50 min journeys - Is stanley the same distance? my work is off statue sq

thanks

Last edited by Rmulhall; 08-04-2005 at 06:33 PM.

Rmulhall,

How about Pok Fu Lam? It's 25 mins to Central and the beach is 15 mins (Deep Water Bay) in the opposite direction. For 40K you can have a look at some of the spacious, low rise buildings on Bisney Rd, Consort Rise,

Hi

Whats Pok Fu Lam like? I've never visited that area?

Thanks