Ok it's offical !!!

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Great question! I am also about to move and would love to know what the 'average' work day is like. I have heard start late but work all night - well til 10 - is quite normal?

It all depends from the nature of the job and the company. In the 4.5 years I have been here in HK, 98% I was leaving from office on time

Quote Originally Posted by VegemiteKid:
    Great question! I am also about to move and would love to know what the 'average' work day is like. I have heard start late but work all night - well til 10 - is quite normal?
    Depends on your profession, of course. There's no 'normal' working times in HK, it's a 24 hour city. Most retailers don't open till 10 or 11am, they'll close around 11:00-12:00, in some places 01:00. However, offices do tend to keep normal working hours, generally finishing at 17:00 or 18:00 hrs, but don't be too shocked if your employer asks you to work OT, it's normal. The majority of employers don't deploy a OT pay and often people work till 20:00 - 22:00 hours. For those of you coming from the UK, there's no minimum pay. For one person, $20 an hour is satisfactory, for another, they expect more. The most important thing is that you really absolutely, genuinely enjoy your work. If true, chance are you'll won't be too peed for working OT.

Kostas, then I must say you are probably one of the lucky ones! Unfortunately, I have a feeling I won't be so lucky.. What industry are you in? Surely it will depend on the nature of the job, but what about those in financial/investment services?

Did I read that Kostas says that he is 98% for leaving " on time ". For the rest of us it might seem like a greek myth ( supposing your a greek / desendant mate !! ).

You WILL work long hours but with the right company you will benefit and not be abused. If abused then its easy to move on if you have the motivation.
    You will hopefully not be sitting down like me on a Sunday afternoon, no air con, shirt off and trying to get ahead in a busy month. But if you want to work hard you can reap the rewards.
    The benefits of ireggular hours is you don't get in the morning crush BUT you must time your finish inside happy hour !!! You can eat later.

You also will love it here, the lifestyle suits unsociable hours and the single person. I am not truely single but have a partner who works with me. So don't all you married guys with kids shout at me.
    So to prove my point its just after 5pm, its too hot, I'm in TST. The best Guiness in town is in The George. The air con in Harbour City and the boat ride will cool be externally, LKF can do the rest !!
    Another perfect day --------- aaaaahhhh.
    Boris

Wink

You guessed right, I am from Greece. I guess I am lucky then <g> Actually I used to work longer hours when I was back in my country. Oh, and by the way, since I forgot to mention it before, I am working in IT industry.