Moving to Shekou... Please read

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I live in Colchester, VT...will be spending time in China with husband and children

I am planning to live in Shekou probably by the end of June to meet up with my husband who works in Longdong District. I have been unable to connect with anyone at SWIC as well.

I am curious about the schools. My daughter is my eldest and is in preschool and loves it. I'm a little apprehensive about sending her to a school there, but I would like to find out if there is anything available for her age group that she might enjoy and see what I think.

better no to drive in that area

I have tried to stay there for a few months since we brought a house overlooking the Mission Hill. I would strongly recommand you not to drive there. It is not just the liability issue. The traffic and road condition is just , well, a bit beyond your imagination. The right line which mark the lane is just a decoration for them. Find yourself a good, reliable driver. It is cheap there, approx. 2000RMB per month. Let him do the driving. Once in a while, if you want to take up the challenge, you can drive around in the weekend.

absolutely agree with Kuen, don't drive yourself. Expats can get a license, costs about 2000RMB. however if you have an accident costs suddenly escalate-rapidily.
    people have been known to throw themselves under a car to get the compensation!

If the accident involves a local official (or his/her distant relative) no amount of insurance will cover the damage claims, etc.

As mentioned above, I would certainly recommend hiring a driver.

Quote Originally Posted by baerchen1:
    Hi All,

My husband is considering taking on a job as a Managing Director in Shekou. I've been searching the net and found some info but... We would be interested in living in Jingshan Villas but their e-mail does not work. Any other suggestions than Jingshan Villas? How much would rent be? I also tried to contact the Shekou Womans International Club but haven't received a reply. Any suggestions in how to contact the expat community in Shekou? I read that the climate is humid so I guess it would be a good idea to store our furniture in the states and buy new or do those Villas or Duplexes come furnished? Lastly, I found out that there are two International Schools in Shekou. I have a 15 and 12 year old. What is the difference between the QSI and International other than the price? I would greatly appriciate any info.
    Thanks and have a great day.
    I'm moving with mine husband and three children to Shekou at the first of July. We will live in the Mont Orchid Riverlet in Shekou.
    Beautiful appartments with a big swimming pool, gym, tenniscourt, clubhouse, garden, supermarket.
    Our children one of five years and twins of two years old will go to the SIS international school. Which will only be about ten minutes of walking from our home.
    We have also visit Jinshan Villas, which are to our opion very expensive and old fashioned.
    The Mont Orchid Riverlet are brand new, with very nice and modern furniture and much lower in price!
    If you need information you may contact me at: [email protected]
    I come from the Netherlands. Maby we can have contact in Shekou and help each other.
    I wish you good luck! Hopefully to hear more from you.
    Jitske

I live in Shekou and I have three little children, I 'm looking for a general doctor in the area of Shekou.
    I know about the SOS clinic, but it's too expensive.
    Does anybody know a good doctor who speaks english?
    Best regards,
    Jitske Hengst-Roelfsema

I live in Colchester, VT...will be spending time in China with husband and children

Try Sos

I highly recommend that you look into SOS. I brought my four year old there last week and they were very helpful. I had a thorough exam done for her problem, the doctor took time to talk to me without making me feel rushed. The head nurse came out to talk to me before we went in. I was able to get the medication right there. Everyone was friendly and I didn't have to wait a long time to get in the room. It was a good experience for me. I don't know what your experience is in Europe but for me in the United States it is very different at the pediatrician's office. Have you received the information on it or are you just going by what you have heard from other people?

Arrow come on

Quote Originally Posted by Dogberta:
    KIA,

Have you ever driven in Shenzhen? Is it as bad as what I've read on this website?

D
    Come on, I have been driving in both China and US and found the issue of liabilities is almost the same - except in China you find it more difficult simply because of the language barrier. If you still consider the option of driving in China, make sure your agent can speak English and make sure your insurance has sufficient coverage. I have seen expats driving in China and frankly, only a few of them abide the traffic law. For a family like yours, you definitely want to have a car.

ooh nothing like a nice bit of spam in the mornings!

RGK

Smile renting apartment in Shekou

Hello friends,

I will be relocating to Shekou by 16th March. I am looking for a rented apartment near that area. Can anyone suggest me options.

Thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2